Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:53 PM   #1

Default Nikon D5000

Hi everyone,
I just joined today after reading way too many confusing things about my camera. I have had my Nikon D5000 for 3 years now and I still don't understand much about it. I have taken thousands of shots of my kids playing sports. One rugby game I took 1600 pictures. Most of them came out ok but some were very blurry. The same thing for my son's wrestling shots, most are good but some are blurry. I have read about aperture and shutter speed and iso but I can't wrap my head around it all.
I was hoping someone would tell me exactly how to set my camera for inside gym shots with no flash and outside rugby shots. I usually just shoot in auto.
I use a Nikon 55-200mm 1:4 5.6G

Last edited by Onely; Feb 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM. Reason: more info
Onely is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:14 PM   #2

For indoor sports, you need a large aperture (small f-number) telephoto lens, so you can get a lot of light so you can get a proper exposure with a fast shutter speed without resorting to high ISOs that will result in image noise. The fast shutter speed prevents motion blur due to subject movement, and an unintended consequence of the large aperture is that you'll also get a shallow depth of field.

For outdoor sports, you need a longer lens that can focus quickly.

What lenses do you have?

Can you post examples of some of the shots you're not happy with?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:18 PM   #3

Nikon 55-200mm 1:4 5.6G
and
Nikon 18-55mm 1:3.5 5.6G

I deleted all the shots I did not like.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:51 PM   #4

Neither of those lenses is fast enough to take good indoor sports shots, and 200mm might be long enough for some sports, but you'd really have to work to get good shots of rugby with it.

Shooting sports, especially indoor sports, is the toughest for of photography there is, and good results depend to a great extent on the gear.

Also, I'd take your D5000 off Auto, and put it on A mode or at least Sports.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:05 PM   #5

Thank you for your help. Can you suggest a lens for in door sports that won't cost me over $1000.00, or is there such a thing?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:29 PM   #6

There's the Nikon 85mm f/1.8G AF-S ($497).

You can generally get closer to the action, and pick your spot in wrestling better than it, for instance, basketball or volleyball, and you can usually get away with slightly slower shutter speeds, so, depending on the venue, you might be able to get away with a maximum aperture of f/2.8. You might be able to use either the Tamron 28-75/2.8 ($499) or the Tamron 70-200/2.8 ($769).

In general, your D5000 doesn't do as well at higher ISO settings as later models, so you would probably be better off investing in a lens that gives you the greatest latitude with aperture and shutter speed while keeping the ISO relatively low. That would be the 85/1.8, presuming it will give you an angle of view you can use.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 5:39 PM   #7

In wrestling, I am standing right on the corner of the mat. Most times I could reach out and touch them if I wanted too. Does this make a difference?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:39 PM   #8

I agree with TCav I;d get both the 28-75mm and the 70-200 f/2.8 Tamron's for your camera. Neither lens you have will do a great job for indoor sports although the 55-200 may work for Rugby depending on where you stand if its a bright day game. If its at night you'll want a lens that can operate at f/2.8

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Feb 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9

if your that close im wondering if a Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G or the 50mm version would be cheap options for the indoor wrestling, they are both very good lenses
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onely View Post
In wrestling, I am standing right on the corner of the mat. Most times I could reach out and touch them if I wanted too. Does this make a difference?
That's pretty close. what focal lengths have you been able to use to frame images with the lenses you've got?