Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:55 AM   #11

Thanks Zig. Yes, the D7000 has some nice features, especially the 39 point AF system but I just don't think I'd be shooting sports, but probably birds in flight once in a great while. The D90's (mint and refurb) are listing on Ebay for about 500 bucks with the factory refurb being $499.00. I can also get a Oly E30 factory demo for $469.00 with 14-42 lens at Cameta. That would allow me to also use my Oly 35mm macro. I'm also thinking that if I switch to Nikon I know I'd take a bath in selling my Oly gear, especially the kit lens and the 40-150mm. The other problem is that the D90 has much much better IQ and dynamic range than the E30 as you have mentioned. I've read there is no comparison but haven't seen side by side pics of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi James,

The D90 was the first Nikon dslr that I bought when I switched from Olympus to Nikon. It was and still is a good camera. But, having been first released in 2008 it is long in the tooth.

I found the AF system good, the image quality excellent, the dynamic range far superior to the Olympus E-30 that I was using.

That being said, the D7000 is just a much better camera. And, it should be since it's feature set is significantly better.

If you're planning on buying a used D-90 than I can understand why you'd be looking at it. If you're looking at a new D90, then the pricing differences I've seen between a new D90 and a new D7000 are about a $100. From a price vs performance perspective the D7000 is a much better buy.
Zig
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Thanks Zig. Yes, the D7000 has some nice features, especially the 39 point AF system but I just don't think I'd be shooting sports, but probably birds in flight once in a great while. The D90's (mint and refurb) are listing on Ebay for about 500 bucks with the factory refurb being $499.00. I can also get a Oly E30 factory demo for $469.00 with 14-42 lens at Cameta. That would allow me to also use my Oly 35mm macro. I'm also thinking that if I switch to Nikon I know I'd take a bath in selling my Oly gear, especially the kit lens and the 40-150mm. The other problem is that the D90 has much much better IQ and dynamic range than the E30 as you have mentioned. I've read there is no comparison but haven't seen side by side pics of this.
Hi James,

If you are interested, you can take a look at a gallery of images taken while I was in Marco Island for a month back in 2011. All of the images were taken with the E-30+50-200mm combo.

I'll let the images speak for themselves. I'll only say that for every one you see, I must have taken 10 that didn't come out the way I wanted.

http://zig123.smugmug.com/Nature/bir...-of-Tigertail/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:20 PM   #13

Those are pretty nice images Zig. There were only a few a little soft, mostly the birds in flight. Other than that, those images are certainly good enough for me and very sharp. Problem with reviewers is that they base their findings with charts, etc and I don't take pictures of charts. Ironic that this was in Marco Island. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon about 23 years ago. She knows someone that has a condo right near the water and we were able to stay there pretty cheap. We went in mid September and even though we had the place for two weeks, we coulnd't bear the heat and humidity longer than five days. All you needed to do was walk along the shore and you were soak and wet from sweat. Pool wasn't too refreshing either with the water at 94. I took quite a few shots but they are on film and I haven't got around to converting a zillion of them over to digital. My ?Canon printer is capable of doing a very nice job but it takes forever to process four pictures. I need to find a faster and dedicated stand alone unit.
Thank you for sharing those beautiful pics.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Those are pretty nice images Zig. There were only a few a little soft, mostly the birds in flight. Other than that, those images are certainly good enough for me and very sharp. Problem with reviewers is that they base their findings with charts, etc and I don't take pictures of charts. Ironic that this was in Marco Island. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon about 23 years ago. She knows someone that has a condo right near the water and we were able to stay there pretty cheap. We went in mid September and even though we had the place for two weeks, we coulnd't bear the heat and humidity longer than five days. All you needed to do was walk along the shore and you were soak and wet from sweat. Pool wasn't too refreshing either with the water at 94. I took quite a few shots but they are on film and I haven't got around to converting a zillion of them over to digital. My ?Canon printer is capable of doing a very nice job but it takes forever to process four pictures. I need to find a faster and dedicated stand alone unit.
Thank you for sharing those beautiful pics.
Marco is a great little spot. We stay at a condo across the street from Residence Beach. Normally, I'd be getting ready to take the drive down this last
week of February. Unfortunately, we can't do it this year. Lots of photo opps. down there. While I've never been there in September, I have gone down to the Keys. The weather can be down right oppressive.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:52 PM   #15

I wondered why the complex was deserted, why we were the only people at the pool, and I found out why. I recall getting some nice shots of Pelicans since they were very accustomed to people being around. Saw a few Dolphins playing in the harbor as well. Where we stayed was definitely for the wealthy and I certainly would not have fit in with the folks who live there during the winter.