Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2013, 6:34 AM   #11

While I current use a D7000 as primary with a D90 backup, my goal is to go FF. While fully satisfied with the D7000, the D7100 creates a delimma and would have been further complicated if Nikon had also introduced a DX mirrorless as was rumored. The 1.3 crop effectively takes it back to the D7000 area at 15.3 and resolves part of the buffer and fps issue. Also, focus should not be an issue in crop mode as it takes up the entire focus grid as illustrated at the 0:51 sec mark in the official Nikon video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DXTD-1EHW7c . One area that is not highlighted is the change in HDR. While B&H and other ads not "incamera HDR processing" (Mhee), buried in the specs, it is now 5 exposure so no longer having to do 2 sets of 3 and throwing out one of the "0" exposures. I don't do that much HDR, preferring off-camera lighting, as yesterday I had a CamRanger delivered (wireless view, exposure adjustment and controls to iPad app) and among other things will do 7 frame HDR on the D7000, overiding the design limits.

The big thing is what are the "improvements" in video as that is becoming an increasing part of my real estate business. It was the primary reason I upgraded from the D90 to the D7000.

Not getting in line to be a first adopter. Will wait and see - both clarification of features and initial production issues. But if could sell the D7000 and upgrade for $400 or so, it becomes a viable option. If anything, it would totally rule out the D600 and push to the D800 when expanding to FF. In the meantine just rent a FF when doing a wedding or have a commercial architechural shoot.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:17 PM   #12

Default Nikon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Actually, Nikon.com describes the D7100 (in thier words) "As a middle-class DX-format D-SLR". Still hope for a D400!
Check Nikon USA.com

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...513/D7100.html

The new flagship of Nikon's DX-format HD-SLR lineup. Achieve a thrilling new level of image quality and sharpness thanks to a specially designed 24.1-MP DX-format CMOS sensor.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:00 PM   #13

I am very surprised and a little let down that Nikon did not include a side mounted articulated swivel LCD screen on the new D7100. I think that the side mounted swivel articulated LCD screen is a very useful feature.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surplusshooter View Post
I am very surprised and a little let down that Nikon did not include a side mounted articulated swivel LCD screen on the new D7100. I think that the side mounted swivel articulated LCD screen is a very useful feature.
maybe this is to do with the weather seal?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:54 PM   #15

Yes, I'm sure you are correct. There was no way to include the articulated swivel LCD screen on the new D7100 and still maintain a 100% water tight weather seal. Damn shame.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote