Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:04 PM   #1

Default D7100 announced

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Pro...513/D7100.html

Sounds very interesting
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:39 AM   #2

Sounds good, but i've been waiting for the D300s replacement for a long time (maybe not coming?). Will wait for the initial rush to settle and see if it has the same sensor oil/dust problem that has been a problem on their last two offerings - hope not.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:19 AM   #3

It all sounds good;
51 point auto focus with 15 cross points,
new 24 mp sensor-Toshiba not Sony- without alias filter,
ISO performance increased to 25,600,

The curious omissions are faster frame rates and the one I would value the most is a larger buffer as I shoot RAW.

If I were just starting out, I'd be happy with the D7100. But as an existing D7000 user, I'm not going to be in a hurry to upgrade.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:03 AM   #4

I was curious when I saw this announcement if you were going with it Zig. I guess they're leaving certain features like higher frame-rates and buffers locked in at the more high-end models? Otherwise, it's amazing what they do include at this level.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:58 AM   #5

Those frame rates and buffer handling also have real-world hardware costs associated. Being able to process 24mp files at 10 frames per second and clearing the buffer takes some hardware to accomplish. So, I don't think it is only about keeping features out to protect higher cameras I'm sure there's something to keeping the cost down.

It's also interesting that Nikon is trying to get away from the Sony sensor to make sensor a competitive advantage vs. Sony and Pentax. That's a good thing for everyone. Having competition in the sensor making business is a good thing.

AND, it keeps the pressure on with regards to focus systems getting pushed down. Nikon continues to push the boundaries on this.

This camera is going to put a lot of pressure on Pentax if the sensor performs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6

Looks good and tempting but the buffer is so small for action and nature shooters.

According with Nikon.com it is the "flagship DX camera" that's mean this is the D400.

What looks interesting is the cropping factor (1.3) in a cropped camera, my 300mm + 1.7 TC will be a 1020mm lens.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
What looks interesting is the cropping factor (1.3) in a cropped camera, my 300mm + 1.7 TC will be a 1020mm lens.
Well, maybe, maybe not. My experience with sports photography was that with a given lens I would run into focus errors after a certain distance. So when you end up cropping said photo you would find the focus just wasn't good enough in addition to just losing pixels. Now, if photographing smaller objects within that "focus range" I was much more successful at cropping the photos.

It's just my personal experience. But, cropping a photo didn't really extend the "reach" of my lenses - with my 22mp 5dIII I still have issues with a 200mm lens past 25 yards or so - same range I had on a 10mp camera and on a 6mp camera. BUT, within that range I can crop and have more pixels to work with.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I was curious when I saw this announcement if you were going with it Zig. I guess they're leaving certain features like higher frame-rates and buffers locked in at the more high-end models? Otherwise, it's amazing what they do include at this level.
Hi Greg,
A DX body having a larger buffer would be a big plus for me. Currently, I can take 3 maybe 4 shots in continuous mode, then the camera locks up until the buffer is cleared. Now, I knew when I went to buy the camera, so I'm not complaining. But, there are times when being able to take 5 to 6 shots would be nice.

Now, I'm not dissing the camera. 51 point AF system. 24mp sensor. Low pass filter, and the Toshiba sensor are all good with high ISO performance to 25600 nothing to sneeze at. But, they don't really impact my style of shooting.

As for FX, I've come to the conclusion that for the type of photography I do most, the dx cropped sensor is to my advantage.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:05 PM   #9

Am giving this a serious look; I have a D90 as current backup that I would sell to find funds to buy this. It says better ISO performance, but until real world tests show that the camera can handle 6400ISO with only moderate noise I'll stay with what I have (D600 and D90). The buffer is also a consideration for some, but I do better going for one shot at the right moment personally; If I had a camera shooting 10fps then I would practice 'spray and pray' more often.

Amazon is already taking pre-orders with March 21st due date.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:54 AM   #10

Default D7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Looks good and tempting but the buffer is so small for action and nature shooters.

According with Nikon.com it is the "flagship DX camera" that's mean this is the D400.

Actually, Nikon.com describes the D7100 (in thier words) "As a middle-class DX-format D-SLR". Still hope for a D400!
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote