Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:52 AM   #1

Default D7000 discounts have started

Well, It's started. Nikon is offering a $300 discount on both the d7000 body only and the D7000 + 18-105mm lens.

Amazon, B&H Photo as well as all the others big camera companies are offering the same pricing.
$896 for the body is pretty a good price.

Depending on how fast they move, I wouldn't be surprised at deeper discounting.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:31 AM   #2

when i was looking to get one here in the UK they were few and far between with what i would class as reputable sellers, seemed to be plenty on the internet but i had a sneakey feeling a lot of these were grey imports.
i will probably buy a 7100 but not untill all the hypes died down and the price drops, or maybe a 400 will appear and throw a spanner in the works
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:39 AM   #3

Hi,
Actually, the more I read about the D7100 the more I like it. At first, I thought the major changes had more to do with video than anything else. But, the 51point AF system is the currently Nikon's best AF system - nothing to sneeze at.

I also like the fact that they decided to use a low pass filter along with the Toshiba sensor.

Full frame doesn't really excite me at this point, mostly because, I've got a series of DX lenses I'd need to replace. Having upgraded from olympus to Nikon, I've already taken one bath. I'm not excited about going thru the lens replacement process again, anytime soon.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Having upgraded from olympus to Nikon, I've already taken one bath. I'm not excited about going thru the lens replacement process again, anytime soon.

Zig
I'd be interested in your observations about the change from Oly to Nikon as I'm considering the same change myself. Currently using E-30 with a wide assortment of Oly glass, but really looking at moving to the D7000 or D7100 or whether to stay with Oly and move to E-5 or OM-D. Are you pleased with the change you made and what pros & cons have you found? Thx

Last edited by Frapha; Feb 23, 2013 at 9:18 AM.
Frapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:19 AM   #5

Zig,
I also changed from the four thirds to the D7000. I guess with technology there's no limit to bigger and better and newer but my wallet is starting to reach that I don't think so level now : ) How long it takes to outgrow this camera is to be seen, but hitting the lottery would be persuasive ....
eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapha View Post
I'd be interested in your observations about the change from Oly to Nikon as I'm considering the same change myself. Currently using E-30 with a wide assortment of Oly glass, but really looking at moving to the D7000 or D7100 or whether to stay with Oly and move to E-5 or OM-D. Are you pleased with the change you made and what pros & cons have you found? Thx
It really all depends on what you like to shoot. Since I do a lot of wildlife photography: birds in flight etc. I was quite frustrated with the AF system of the E-30(my last Olympus camera body). The other issues, at the time were poor high ISO performance and blown highlights.

Now, to be fair with Olympus, with the E-M5, they've pretty much addressed the ISO performance and limited dynamic range. And, while the AF system is better, it really doesn't meet the requirements of birds in flight, sports, etc.

By the way, I, personally, would not buy an E-5. My belief is that four thirds is dead as a system as far as Olympus is concerned as they devote all their efforts into the Micro four thirds system.
I honestly can say that I'm quite pleased with having made the change and I've never looked back.

Zig

Last edited by zig-123; Feb 23, 2013 at 9:42 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 10:49 PM   #7

I have 2 lenses for my D7000 so I bought another body for only $475. It was used, but after close examination it is like new. Now I dont have to relearn all the camera dials and never have to change lenses again.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote