Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:20 AM   #11

It's not the computer. While the 7y/o computer will have other "issues" with video, it won't contribute to the judder. This attached tour I did for a neighbor as he sold his home also introduced me to the judder. While it mixes stills and panoramics, the video clip is 3rd from the end. Notice the panning across the lake, and the panning on the playground equipment. http://tours.imagesforrealestate.com/64099?idx=1 That was taken with a D7000 which has similar video attribures to the D5100, and is rendered in HD. The judder is present on my computer which I rebuild last year specifically for video...Core i7, Nvidia GTX video card (adobe recommended) with dedicated memory and 16gb system memory on Win 7.

Where the older computer suffers is in rendering video - assuming you are doing any editing. My old dual core pentium machine use to take 45 minutes to render, where a similar size video not takes about 5 minutes. Likewise, burning to disk is faster, but not really noticable. However, absolutely take from the INTERNAL harddrive as it has much faster transfer rates that external sources such as USB connected harddrives, or SD cards where even the internal reader is attached to a USB connection on the motherboard.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:24 AM   #12

Thanks for the good replies.
By experimenting I have found 720 Normal Quality 25 fps gives me an acceptable movie that my PC will play back ok. P S A and full auto modes all give similar results as they just compensate for lighting issues in different ways.( I leave auto ISO turned on) HQ is just too jerky and Normal Quality is too jerky in 1080.
So far I haven't been able to burn anything onto DVD that will play on the TV.
One of my Grandsons may be able to show me what I'm doing wrong.
A friend tells me I need to get a HD computer as kazuya says.I'll take my SDHC card to a PC store and see what happens.
tizeye thanks for posting the Vids they are about the same as I get at 720 Normal Q 25fps, they are acceptable to me, I would have been interested to see what a person walking across the image would have looked like on my above setting as they are about the same smoothness.Were they shot at 1080 HQ or 720 NQ?
My D5000 was pretty smooth but I don't remember what settings for quality it had as I never touched them.
Sorry I don't come back too quick as a rule but I'm in and out a lot.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:48 PM   #13

Well it looks like I need a new PC or a new graphics card.
I took my SDHC card with my recordings made in all the qualities and file sizes to my Grandsons and his Apple laptop played them all with ease and my Son in Laws 2 yr old Dell desktop PC with a wide screen 1080p monitor also played them ,no problem.
I was amazed at the quality of these movies, they appeared pin sharp to me. My screen is a Dell Ultra Sharp but my Son in Laws just blew it away.
I didn't realize going from the D5000 would be so costly.I have looked at one and it only records in 720p basic quality.
Anyway thanks to all for the help, if I ever get around to putting them onto DVD I am going to need and HD DVD player as well.

All donations to my PC/DVD fund gratefully received.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Mar 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 12:20 PM   #14

idealy when you get a new PC you should get one with a blu-ray writer in it, and burn ya movies straight to blu-ray disks, theyre not that expensive anymore.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:45 AM   #15

Thanks kazuya I'll look into it.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod