Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:49 AM   #1

Default Old Nikon Lens on D100 or D70

Would it be advisable to use my Nikkor 50mm 1:2 Manual focus lens on a D100 or D70? The lens is used on my FM now. If so, will any of the auto features on the digi's work, excluding AF?
Thanks, Dan
observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:24 PM   #2

Similarly, can the D100 be used on a microscope equipped with a Nikon mount that functions well with 35 mm Nikon slr's? From another site I received the following suggestion that also seems relevant to older Nikon lenses about which you asked. Makes sense to me. Does it sound right to you?

"With the camera body to mounted to a microscope adapter you lose the lens 'feedback'. The camera does not know the microscope effective lens aperture and cannot adjust it. So, set the camera to aperture priority mode, set an aperture of f5.6. This will force the camera to select an appropriate shutter speed based on the light received on the meter sensor(s). Assess results. If not satisfactory - too dark, set f4; too light, set f8. Provided you can set an aperture on the camera in 'A' mode (and if you can't it's not worth buying) this will work.

Thanks for advice.

Dave
milstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:07 PM   #3

Default Manual Lens on D100

I went to a Ritz Camera and they let me put my manual lens on their D100. I took some shots in the store using manual mode. At f5.6 and 1/100 I manually focused on shelves, displays, etc. and the pictures came out fine. I'll probably be going the way of a D70 or D100.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:39 PM   #4

Thanks. Does the light sensor/meter read/display anything useful or do you judge exposure subjectively by viewing the LCD display (or, in our intended application, the video feed to an external monitor)? The D70 looks like all we would need, but may not be able to wait for it's release.
milstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:42 PM   #5

Default cont...

I manually set the aperture on my lens and the speed on the camera in manual mode. If I remember right, only the speed was displayed.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:26 AM   #6

If I'm in doubt about exposure I check the distribution curve of the histogram on the LCD. If I've got a subject with reasonable mid-tones I look to get a peak at the centre of the histogram or slightly to the left of centre.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote