Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #11

Congratulations Zig,

The D600 is a great camera and you will find the menu, controls and body very similar to the D7000.

You already have the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4, what lenses are you planing to ad to the new body?

Looking forward for more pictures.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Congratulations Zig,

The D600 is a great camera and you will find the menu, controls and body very similar to the D7000.

You already have the 70-200mm f/2.8 and the 300mm f/4, what lenses are you planing to ad to the new body?

Looking forward for more pictures.

Marcelo
I like the 14-24mm Nikkor but at 2,000 it's a little pricey.
What are you using for wide angle and medium zoom?

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 8:40 AM   #13

I am using the 14-24mm f/2.8 it is a beautiful wide angle lens but it is expensive and the fact that you can't attach filters to it is a limitation, the Lee Filters is an expensive solution for this issue.

I have also the 24-70mm f/2.8, very fast AF, sharp and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, it is the sharpest lens I have in my collection, I love this lens.

You should check also the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX gets excellent reviews and the price is not bad $749.

The Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5 - 5.6 is another option.

Good luck Zig and don't hesitate to send me and e-mail or message with questions about it.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; Apr 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #14

Zig,

for medium zoom the Tamron 28-75 is hard to beat for the bucks on full frame. I use it mostly at the wide end because I tend to use my 50 1.8 for that length and my 70-200 for longer than 50.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I am using the 14-24mm f/2.8 it is a beautiful wide angle lens but it is expensive and the fact that you can't attach filters to it is a limitation, the Lee Filters is an expensive solution for this issue.

I have also the 24-70mm f/2.8, very fast AF, sharp and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, it is the sharpest lens I have in my collection, I love this lens.

You should check also the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX gets excellent reviews and the price is not bad $749.

The Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5 - 5.6 is another option.

Good luck Zig and don't hesitate to send me and e-mail or message with questions about it.

Marcelo
I had a suspicion you were using the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8. I just can't justify
the cost. Much appreciate the heads up on the Tokina 16-28 Pro Fx.

I've had the opportunity to use a friend's Nikkor 16-35mm F4 and found it plenty sharp. But, will take a look at the Tokina.

Thanks,

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigMe View Post
Zig,

for medium zoom the Tamron 28-75 is hard to beat for the bucks on full frame. I use it mostly at the wide end because I tend to use my 50 1.8 for that length and my 70-200 for longer than 50.

brad
Hi DigMe,

Thanks for your input. I find the both Tokina & Tamron make a compelling choice from a price to performance perspective. Not wild about the build quality of the Tamron lenses I've had/tried. But, I'm not going to expect the same build quality as the Nikkors at a fraction of the price.

Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:59 PM   #17

Pretty impressive Zig. Congrats on the D600. I think that that is my next buy. I've passed the info on to my shooting buddy and he's anxious to see your shots. We'll be shooting at air shows later this year.

He bought his D600 a couple of months back and hasn't seen any signs of the "Great oil spill"
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I had a suspicion you were using the Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8. I just can't justify
the cost. Much appreciate the heads up on the Tokina 16-28 Pro Fx.

I've had the opportunity to use a friend's Nikkor 16-35mm F4 and found it plenty sharp. But, will take a look at the Tokina.

Thanks,

Zig
That Tokina scored the second highest (after the Nikkor 14-24) on DxO Mark for Nikon-mount wide-angle zooms. it beat out both the Nikkor 16-35 and 17-35.

brad
DigMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 12:08 PM   #19

Hey Zig

Congrats on the new D600 ! Fingers crossed that they have fixed the dust issues. Has this been final word on the fix from Nikon ?

Hows the AF system compared to your D7000 ? The pics look good and I know there just test shots but is it just me as they look slightly OOF ?

Post some more when you get a chance.. bound to see some stunning pics from the new cam!

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; May 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 6:03 AM   #20

Default hi Harj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

Congrats on the new D600 ! Fingers crossed that they have fixed the dust issues. Has this been final word on the fix from Nikon ?

Hows the AF system compared to your D7000 ? The pics look good and I know there just test shots but is it just me as they look slightly OOF ?

Post some more when you get a chance.. bound to see some stunning pics from the new cam!

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,
Thanks for you input.

The wings on the gull are definitely OOF due to my stupidity. I mistakenly set the shutter to 1/640.

As for the dust/oil problems. Yes, they still exist. the D600 I have does show signs of spots when I did a "Blue Sky" test shot at f22. They are easy to get rid of in CS 6. They are not a big enough issue-for me to send the camera back.

Zig