Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 8, 2013, 6:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Pretty impressive Zig. Congrats on the D600. I think that that is my next buy. I've passed the info on to my shooting buddy and he's anxious to see your shots. We'll be shooting at air shows later this year.

He bought his D600 a couple of months back and hasn't seen any signs of the "Great oil spill"
Hi Ken,

After using the D600 for the last few weeks, I'm very pleased with the performance of this camera and have no reservation in recommending it to anyone.

The one caveat is that you will quickly realize that, in order to get the most out of the sensor, you're going to need to invest in good glass.

My current inventory of lenses include;
Nikkor 300mm F4 IF ED AF-S
Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8 VR
Tokina 16-28mm FX Pro F2.8

The cost of the lenses far outweigh the cost of the body. And, I'm not done yet.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 6:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I am using the 14-24mm f/2.8 it is a beautiful wide angle lens but it is expensive and the fact that you can't attach filters to it is a limitation, the Lee Filters is an expensive solution for this issue.

I have also the 24-70mm f/2.8, very fast AF, sharp and the Sigma 35mm f/1.4, it is the sharpest lens I have in my collection, I love this lens.

You should check also the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX gets excellent reviews and the price is not bad $749.

The Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5 - 5.6 is another option.

Good luck Zig and don't hesitate to send me and e-mail or message with questions about it.

Marcelo
Hi Marcelo,

Just got the Tokina 16-28mm F2.8 FX Pro last week. My schedule has prevented me from fully testing it out. Initial shots are quite good.
Boy, this is one big lens.

Going to try & go out this week and give it a good test.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:22 AM   #23

Hey Zig

I had a look at D600 when it came out in the UK - lucky enough to get my mitts on the first one that the store had in stock. I was surprised by its size how nice it felt in the hand, reminded me of the E3 quiet a bit and without the weight of the D700 which I also had a play with several months before.

Thats the thing with these beasties .. expensive glass.. makes your head spin just thinking about the cost of the damn things. Hows the 300F4 .. its got to be a pretty sweet lens?

Watching out for more pics !

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 2:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Marcelo,

Just got the Tokina 16-28mm F2.8 FX Pro last week. My schedule has prevented me from fully testing it out. Initial shots are quite good.
Boy, this is one big lens.

Going to try & go out this week and give it a good test.
Hi Zig,

Glad you found a wide angle for your D600, the Tokina lenses are very sharp and an inexpensive solution for FF cameras.

Looking forward for your pictures.

Marcelo

Last edited by MarceloLI; May 9, 2013 at 7:26 AM.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 7:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hey Zig

I had a look at D600 when it came out in the UK - lucky enough to get my mitts on the first one that the store had in stock. I was surprised by its size how nice it felt in the hand, reminded me of the E3 quiet a bit and without the weight of the D700 which I also had a play with several months before.

Thats the thing with these beasties .. expensive glass.. makes your head spin just thinking about the cost of the damn things. Hows the 300F4 .. its got to be a pretty sweet lens?

Watching out for more pics !

Cheers

Harj
Hi Harj,

I too, like the size. Feels comfortable in hand. As for cost, I felt the same way as you when I first started with Olympus. Their SHG lenses, while lovely, were prohibitively expensive at the time. I've learned that I need to bite the bullet when expecting high quality images.

The 300mm f4, it is wonderful. Very sharp, even with the 1.4 telecon. Another example of a missed opportunity by Olympus.
Zig