Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2013, 7:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
Hi William,

Nice pictures and thank you for the link, it is a big bay and looks like it is a beautiful place.

Regards.

Marcelo
Thanks, Marcelo...

It's a nice place in the off season when there are less crowds... During tourist
season it's packed and hard to move around...

D7k with old/new glass and a few other things...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 7:57 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko170 View Post
Here's a single shot from my old D90 at 3200ISO of a gymnast in the middle of a 'full' - a 360 twist while on a tumbling pass, from a few years ago.
Very nice catch, Frank...!

Old May 12, 2013, 8:15 PM   #43

Red Rock Canyon - Las Vegas

Have a great week everyone.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 8:17 PM   #44

Quote:
Thank you for the info Frank, I never had the chance to use a 50mm or 85mm prime shooting under those light conditions and I was wondering how fast is the AF of those lenses to achieve a sharp picture.

Your picture posted is very sharp and very well done, thank you for posting.

Marcelo
Thank you Marcelo -

The nikkor 85 1.8D is the best money I have spent on a lens at its price. It focuses fast enough, although the D600 autofocus gets slow in low light, and is very sharp. If I were going to buy another 85 though I'd get the new 'g' version. From what I've read it's a little faster focusing and a little sharper. Most people like the 85G bokeh better too, although occasionally someone will prefer the old 'D.'
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2013, 8:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Nice work, Frank...!
That old lens is holding up very well for you! Nice shots.

Marcelo - what lens were you using for Radio City?
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 1:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Red Rock Canyon - Las Vegas

Have a great week everyone.

Marcelo
Love that first shot with the road winding off towards the distance...!

Quote:
That old lens is holding up very well for you! Nice shots.
Thank you, Frank...!

Old May 13, 2013, 7:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Probably shouldn't have mentioned it in the first place.
Yeah. Sorry about that. Just some of my random musing. Not really aimed at anyone.

More so thinking about anyone that might happen to read this thread, not bother posting anything and just silently taking away the idea that spray and pray is completely bad and shouldn't be practiced at all.

But also just curious on what others think about spray and pray.

Don't get me wrong. I'm big on trying to spot and anticipate the moment. And capturing the moment.

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 8:06 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
But also just curious on what others think about spray and pray.
Don't get me wrong. I'm big on trying to spot and anticipate the moment. And capturing the moment.
Glen - you'll find that term has very derogatory connotations among sports photographers. But, it's an interesting discussion to be sure. First, it is generally how most people start off shooting sports. And, if a person is only shooting sports very infrequently, it can still be helpful.

In general I advise people to try and predict the action BUT still take a 2-4 shot burst. Using burst is still important because you cannot predict eyes, extra hands, some body movements (leg strides especially). Some of these other aspects are just as important as the peak moment of action. This is where good frame rates come into play too - with a 10-12fps camera you now have 3 photos around peak action from which to choose.

So, it's an evolutionary process - going from hammering out 16-20 shot sequences down to 3-4 shot sequences.

Oddly enough, the biggest issue people have when shooting sports is: you can watch a game as a fan or shoot it as a photographer but you can't do both. That is what really gives parents trouble and is probably the biggest reason why photos tend to remain poor. It's also the reason why, as my son is starting to play sports I bring my camera to only 1 game. I prefer to actually watch and enjoy the other games.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 9:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
In general I advise people to try and predict the action BUT still take a 2-4 shot burst.
For jumps, I reside to just trying to take one shot. I find with my camera, if I miss the apex of the jump, no amount of additional shots is going to help.

But at the beginning or end of a run, when the gymnast does their nice present, I might snap 3 shots. Or if the coach gives them a quick hug after an event I'll snap off a few quick shots. And if any turn out (half decent perspective, gymnast not off balance, etc) then 1 shot oddly ends up being better than the others.

Maybe I shouldn't call what I do spray and pray. Although I spray three fast shots with the camera. And then pray that the gymnast succeeds at the element they are performing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Oddly enough, the biggest issue people have when shooting sports is: you can watch a game as a fan or shoot it as a photographer but you can't do both. That is what really gives parents trouble and is probably the biggest reason why photos tend to remain poor. It's also the reason why, as my son is starting to play sports I bring my camera to only 1 game. I prefer to actually watch and enjoy the other games.
Yeah. That's true. But I'm pretty insane when it comes to taking pictures. But that's kinda why I offered to take a bunch of pictures for the club, so all the girls in the club could have pictures in the year book and video (mostly behind the scenes things) to remember the year, and only I (and my wife) would have to spend so much time doing it.

But for my daughter's last competition at another gym, I actually didn't shoot pictures. I realized, having access to the floor during practice, mock meets, parties, etc, I have loads of pictures of my daughters for their digital scrap album, but I didn't stay still, I actually tried to video record it with my dSLR. My daughter wanted to see them immediately after the competition.

She wants me to video record her at her next competition. <grin>
Old May 13, 2013, 9:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Here you go...

Wizzard0003, I personally think that works really nicely. But I imagined the yellow floats being more light in the B&W. Curious what your thoughts are . . .