Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

View Poll Results: What to buy after a D90 ?
D7000 1 10.00%
D7100 5 50.00%
D600 3 30.00%
Canon :-) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30, 2013, 3:56 AM   #1

Default Sensor size vs pixel size vs Megapixels

Hi,

I did a recent research, and noticed that starting from the good old D40 and D300S up until the most recent D7100, Nikon has kept decreasing the sensor surface, increasing the Megapixel count and reducing the pixel size ( my excel file is attached for your info).

Is the software and the electronic getting so good that they can squeeze more out of the same size sensor ?
I was geting great photos with the D40, now with the D90 I can't see a big difference....thinking of upgrading to D7000 or even D7100.....I am not that good to deserve a FX camera, although I miss my old F601 and my dad's Yashica F !

Any comment welcome !

ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2013, 4:03 AM   #2

attachment
ciotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 4:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciotti View Post
... Nikon has kept decreasing the sensor surface, increasing the Megapixel count and reducing the pixel size ...
Decreasing the pixel pitch is a natural consequence of increasing the megapixel count, but advances have been made over the past several years to reduce the blank space between photoreceptors, so reductions in the pixel size do not correlate to the increase in megapixel count. Pixel size has actually been increasing, relative to the megapixel count. And that's not unique to Nikon, especially since Nikon primarily uses Sony sensors as do Pentax and (naturally) Sony.

Last edited by TCav; May 30, 2013 at 4:34 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 4:44 AM   #4

The difference in sensor size between the D40 and the D7100 is only 0.2mm in one direction... not wholly significant.
However,despite ever increasing mp counts,technology is improving all of the time- with more sophisticated processing and sensor designs and tinkering with sensor macrolens's shape etc...
However- if you got great results with the D40 and are happy also with the D90.... do you really need the "upgrade"...?
The D7100 offers good speed,sophisticated AF system and very high resolution- the last two however will need quality glass to make the best use of that...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 8:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The D7100 offers good speed,sophisticated AF system and very high resolution- the last two however will need quality glass to make the best use of that...
Yeah, that.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 7:21 PM   #6

I think what to buy next depends a lot on what lenses you've got, 70% of my lenses are FF, even though I own a D90 I still try to think about the future when I buy lenses, but just to contradict myself I still think I would buy a D7100 rather than a D600 at the moment simply because of the cost.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:03 AM   #7

I've got a Nikon D90 and a newer(ish) Nikon D5100. For me personally, I find myself having to shoot action shots, without flash in less than idea light a lot. And I find the D5100 giving me better pictures than my D90.

Not that the Nikon D90 is any slouch. I just figure that is one of the benefits of a newer sensor.

If I had the money, I'd go and get the D600. All the benefits of the newer technology, with less noise, easier shallow-depth-of-field, and no crop factor.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:25 PM   #8

We was lucky enough to get the D600 & the D7100 this week ....I WENT FX THE WIFE WENT D7100 we even both upgraded from a D90

The Nikon 24 -70 2.8 is like a new lens I have released the beast blazing fast and now even wider.

When I picked the D7100 up and looked through the viewfinder I was like wow she as it covered .

Only owning them a almost a week they are both great cameras I have owned my D90 from release day and knew I was ready to go Full frame.

Last edited by simple; Jun 15, 2013 at 3:11 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 2:54 PM   #9

Maybe this will help you or confuse you a little more in your choice .

I got my son to stand in a dim lit corner of our room a little light coming from the left hand side and set both bodies to the same settings not going for a great exposure but to test the ISO and to see how both cameras perform both shot in raw untouched except for resizing.

200/ISO5600/f5.6

can you guess which was which? wait before you make your mind up one is with the kit 18 - 105 the other with a nikon 24 - 70

That is not fair your saying well my next shots I swapped the nikon glass and mounted it on both bodies of coarse you will now tell due to the crop sensor so I will hold of posting for a while if your interested let me know

Last edited by simple; Jun 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:00 PM   #10

@simple

Great comparison!

Do you have a similar comparison in low light? Maybe a shot at night using only the light from one light or something?

It would be interesting, at least to me, to see the comparison of high iso in low light.

To me . . . that's where my D5100 does better than my D90. And why when shooting available (low) light, I'll grab my D5100 over my D90.

Take care, Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote