Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Nov 5, 2013, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Nikon DF retro full frame DSLR

Quote:
Nikon's $2,750 Df DSLR lets you shoot full-frame digital images like it's 1959 (hands-on)
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/04/nikon-df-camera/

jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:51 PM   #2

Handsome from the front and top...less so from the back,which is kinda a shame...
A touch on the "pricey" side- I wonder if an APS-C variant might be something for the not too distant future...?
I cannot see an "auto" iso setting on the dial- I hope it has one...(that said,I can't see myself buying one- unless I win the Lotto... )
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:05 PM   #3

Impressive looking tool. I'm actually glad it's priced high. I was worried I'd be kicking myself for not waiting before buying the D7100. No way I can afford that. If I want retro, I'll just take my Nikomat from the shelf.

Last edited by R.A.Smith; Nov 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM.
R.A.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:04 PM   #4

I fail to grasp the logic involved in the release of this new camera.
Yes, the camera looks lovely.
Yes, it's a classic retro looking camera. But at the price Nikon's asking, what is it really offering?

I would pay more for this camera than I did for my D600. Which runs rings around this release. And, don't argue size with me because it's not only the size of the camera that matters, it's the size and weight of the lenses you attach.

I'm, frankly, perplexed by this release.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.Smith View Post
Impressive looking tool. I'm actually glad it's priced high. I was worried I'd be kicking myself for not waiting before buying the D7100. No way I can afford that. If I want retro, I'll just take my Nikormat from the shelf.
You've got that right, R.A.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I fail to grasp the logic involved in the release of this new camera.
Yes, the camera looks lovely.
Yes, it's a classic retro looking camera. But at the price Nikon's asking, what is it really offering?

I would pay more for this camera than I did for my D600. Which runs rings around this release. And, don't argue size with me because it's not only the size of the camera that matters, it's the size and weight of the lenses you attach.

I'm, frankly, perplexed by this release.
I agree with you Zig, the only feature interesting to me is the sensor of the D4 installed in this camera and for the rest it is very similar to a D600.

I am not sure how big is the market for this product compared to a D400??

Pentax, Olympus, Canon and Sony are offering very interesting new cameras and Nikon is looking behind at retro with an overpriced camera.
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7

The Df looks like a fun camera and anyone who gets it will have a powerful camera . . . but its not quite my cup of tea.

If the Df offered FF + fast frame rate & buffer + retro handling (not just style) . . . I could have almost have justified the price in my head. For me, it would be like getting three cameras in one . . .

Now, I'm kinda thinking that the D610 is what I'm going to get next. FF with its better low light performance. A couple of user settings. Its 6 fps and buffer to hold (30 jpgs in FX and 100 in DX)?

And then see how far 6 fps gets me while I enjoy all the other benefits of the D610 . . .

Take care & Happy Shooting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:14 PM   #8

If and when I buy a new camera, it most likely will be a small body mirrorless camera. Retro isn't enough for me. There has to be a clear reason for me to get something to add to my D600.

$2300 would buy a good mirrorless camera body and a couple of really good, SMALL, lenses.

But, that's just my wish list.

Zig

Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:35 PM   #9

I'm getting close to getting my next camera. Which is why I'm reading up on what people are saying about them now . . .

The Nikon Df looks a lot of fun . . . but for me personally . . . without a flash . . . I'd have to get another flash just to fire off the flash I already have.

Where as . . . if I look at it more rationally . . . if I get the D610 . . . I have enough left over for another flash unit so I can get into 2 flash set-ups with CLS . . . and still have change left over . . .

Take Care & Happy Shooting!

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloLI View Post
I agree with you Zig, the only feature interesting to me is the sensor of the D4 installed in this camera and for the rest it is very similar to a D600.

I am not sure how big is the market for this product compared to a D400??

Pentax, Olympus, Canon and Sony are offering very interesting new cameras and Nikon is looking behind at retro with an overpriced camera.
The sensor in the DF is the 16MP D4 sensor and I compared it to the low cost 20MP Sony A3000 at 1600 iso and it did not look much better.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3767/1...81b5532e_o.jpg
jogiba is offline   Reply With Quote