Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2013, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Buyer Beware - D600 Shutter

For those thinking about buying a refurbished camera and saving a significant portion of money off the list price, you may want to re-think that tactic.

I purchased a refurbed D600 body this past April from Adorama. I paid $1599.00 for the body- a significant savings - at the time. My logic was a refurbed camera would have been checked out by Nikon for oil spots on the sensor(a big problem). That and the fact that I hate paying retail.

Well, when I received the camera, I immediately tested it for oil and dust spots on the sensor by taking a few "Blue Sky" shots. Lo and behold, the sensor was full of oil and dust spots. I didn't make a fuss, thinking that most of my photography really didn't get impacted and, when I did see some spots on an image, it was fairly easy to correct.

Smug, in my belief that I saved a whole lot of money, I happily snapped the shutter, taking photo after photo. That is until, about 3weeks ago. when the shutter locked up intermittently. Then not it wouldn't work at all.

The short of it all is that I sent the D600 to Nikon, they replaced the shutter and charged me $236 for the service.

You see, a refurbished body doesn't come with the same warranty as a new one. I always thought that the life of a shutter was 150K shutter releases.

Now, I'm not blaming any one, Not Nikon, nor Adorama-just me. I took a chance that nothing would go wrong.

Obviously, I was wrong.

Oh, and by the way, I do not manhandle my equipment. Never dropped it. It is always in stored in a Lowe Pro bag.

So, it's not always about saving money. Sometimes you get what you paid for.
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:10 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about your experience. I also purchased a refurb D800 from Cameta Camera and hope that I don't get a similar result. Difference is that Cameta extends the warranty to 1 year (extension is their's).

Nikon should step up as the D600, although a great camera, was known for the oil/dust problem but they won't acknowledge or do anything about it.

Last edited by paniolo; Dec 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM. Reason: additional comment
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
... I paid $1599.00 for the body- a significant savings - at the time. ...

... I sent the D600 to Nikon, they replaced the shutter and charged me $236 for the service. ...
$1,599 + $236 = $1,835

That's still a significant savings over $2,000 for a new one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
$1,599 + $236 = $1,835

That's still a significant savings over $2,000 for a new one.
Hi TCav,

I can't argue the point. My concern is, going forward, what else will go wrong with this camera body that wont be covered by any type of warranty.

Additionally, since I don't have a spare body, how do you measure the cost of lost opportunity when I'm without a camera for 3weeks.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Sorry to hear about your experience. I also purchased a refurb D800 from Cameta Camera and hope that I don't get a similar result. Difference is that Cameta extends the warranty to 1 year (extension is their's).

Nikon should step up as the D600, although a great camera, was known for the oil/dust problem but they won't acknowledge or do anything about it.
Hi,
Not ever having had something like this happen to me before, and I've bought a lot of used lenses/gear over the years, I didn't give a warranty much thought.

You were wise for ensuring that you bought from a vendor that provided an extended warranty.

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:20 PM   #6

Well, the story apparently doesn't end here.

Tonight I spent the evening taking photos of children sitting on Santas' lap.
I've been acting as Santa's photographer, the past 4yrs in Barnstable, MA.
It's a way of giving back to the community during the Holiday Season as well as promoting the Cape Cod Art Association, of which I'm an executive board of directors member. We try to promote the Art Association and the opportunities we provide in the areas of art appreciation, education and scholarships to young adults trying to get into college.

Well, the camera is still locking up, not focusing properly and just plain unusable. Looks like another call to Nikon service........UGH!

Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:25 PM   #7

Zig,

I'm sorry to hear of your experience. My D600 has been very good to me; had some spots but cleaned up under warranty, and no problems since.
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:05 AM   #8

I sent my d600 back on the 6th of november for the shutter plate replacing due to oil got it back on 27th november it arrived with a broken lcd so I sent it back the same day I have it back now as they put it through as a urgent repair luckily all this happened under warranty as I got 2 years and have only owned the camera 6 month .... hopefully any other faults that may occur will be within the warranty period left only time will tell.

are you using a battery grip with your 600 zig?

I use a third party one once the battery went flat in the grip and the camera locked up only until I removed the grip or replaced the battery did it function correctly as not being a genuine Nikon grip just a cheap one the switch from grip to body does not work as it should I now carry 3 batteries two for the grip and one in the body for emergency.... that was my solution

Last edited by simple; Dec 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
you get what you paid for.
Well, sorry to hear that you had to learn your lesson the hard way.
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I sent my d600 back on the 6th of november for the shutter plate replacing due to oil got it back on 27th november it arrived with a broken lcd so I sent it back the same day I have it back now as they put it through as a urgent repair luckily all this happened under warranty as I got 2 years and have only owned the camera 6 month .... hopefully any other faults that may occur will be within the warranty period left only time will tell.

are you using a battery grip with your 600 zig?

I use a third party one once the battery went flat in the grip and the camera locked up only until I removed the grip or replaced the battery did it function correctly as not being a genuine Nikon grip just a cheap one the switch from grip to body does not work as it should I now carry 3 batteries two for the grip and one in the body for emergency.... that was my solution
I do not use a grip.