Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:17 AM   #1

Default D5300 and SIGMA Art 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM - No AF in LiveView!

Hi!

Bought a new D5300 together with this "new" kit lens - AS-S 18-140mm VR two weeks ago, to have something lighter to carry around, besides my D300s and D700. The other day (Wednesday), I was tempted to buy this "new" SIGMA Art lens - 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM, which is really fantastic!! It is all they say about this lens. Shot some test shots right there in the shop, and also went on an afternoon of test out in the open.

http://www.nikonimages.com/photo.php...6594.SEQ.0.jpg
and
http://www.nikonimages.com/photo.php...0076.SEQ.0.jpg

So far so good. Yesterday i tried to focus this combination (D5300 + Sigma Art 18-35mm) in Live View - and got NO reaction from the focus-motor. Tried several combinations og AF and single / continuous / different apertures from 1.8 to 16 - etc. Nothing at all.

The fokus-frame that shows up in LV is red, and when I halve-press the actuator, the frame changes to green, but there is no reaction in the focus-motor. The focus does not shift. No "bip" and no focus-motor.

OK. Then I put the same lens onto my back-up camera, a D5100, put it into LV and "presto!" it worked like it should, focus was established right away. With all apertures and different kinds of focus. Then I put this lens onto my D300s and LV focussing worked ok. Tried the same on my trusted D700 and the focus worked, as it should in LV. In other words - this new Art 18-35mm f/1.8 works perfectly with my D5100, my D300s and my D700 - in Live View, but not on my D5300.

Anybody heard of this? It seems that this combination of D5300 and thi particular lens - SIGMA Art 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM - just does NOT work together in Live View. The Auto Focus in the viefinder works snappy and fine.

Best regards from Norway,
Walter

By the way, this terrific lens covers the whole full-frame on my D700 from 28mm up to 35mm without vignetting. Lower than that (from 28mm down to 18mm) vignetting increases ever so strong.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:05 PM   #2
Administrator

See this from Sigma about the problem:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/in...-d5300-cameras
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:34 PM   #3

Thanks a lot, JimC - that was quick. And a relief as well, because I just love this lens with it's aperture of f/1.8 from 18-35mm and want to keep it.

Thank you very much!

Walter
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:52 PM   #4

Just to let you folks know - This Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8 is a gem on the D5300 - I just love it, and it never, ever comes off this camera - I might av well weld it on!

Testing:

"After The Rain"

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:24 AM   #5

Another one - "After The Rain II" - but shot the opposite way, downstreams.

Best regards,
Walter

Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:59 PM   #6

Beautiful sharp images, congrats with your lens !!
Pitty that it isn't an FX model otherwise I would look after one also.

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordje View Post
....Pitty that it isn't an FX model otherwise I would look after one also.
Well, Lordje - first of all - Thank you for your comment here. Second, it actually does (cover the fullformat circleprojection) to a degree. On the longest end (35mm) there is no vignetting on my D700, and down to about 28mm you can safely use it and get rid of a slight hint of vignetting, in post. From 28mm on, however, and all the way down to 18mm, vignetting increases ever so much. Mind you, the amount of vignetting is also dependant on the aperture in use.

This lens is fairly heavy as it is, with a tight an sturdy build (metall and good glass), and if it was to be a ff-lens, it would certainly become even bigger and heavier.

Test-picture with this lens on my D700: http://nikonimages.com/showphoto.php?photoid=32068

Walter_S
)
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:51 PM   #8

Very nice pictures, the sharpness is fantastic.

Sigma is doing a great job with the last lens released, it is great to have another inexpensive option for our Nikon cameras.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:03 AM   #9

Thank you for your comment, Marcelo. I really like the files that this combination of camera + lens gives me. Lots of details, good sharpness and dynamics.

Best regards,
Walter