Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 5, 2014, 9:15 AM   #1

Default D 40

I took these photos yesterday while playing around with my old/new camera.
Comments welcome on them all although cameras are still defeating me. Must be really thick.
I think I have left the metadata on so it can be seen and advice given.
The last one is so dark but I don't know why or how to alter it as I still cannot find how to alter the A, SS or ISO on this camera yet -still looking.
The first two were by luck and not management.
E
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Default Not bad for just getting started

I downloaded a couple of your images, but I wasn't able to see any of the camera data in Photoshop. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to provide you a link to a manual written by Ken Rockwell. A lot of people criticize him, and I don't agree with everything he says. But his manual will provide you with information on how to get to the different settings, and I think it's pretty good in that regard. Ken likes to shoot JPEG files, I prefer to shoot raw. He has a few other weird little ideas. But take a look at his manual and learn how to set the different settings on your camera. I think it will help you quite a bit.

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014, 3:03 PM   #3

Thanks jphess, will do that.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 6, 2014, 10:31 AM   #4

Ken Rockwell I would not trust anything he says at all. Well some people may like him lately his facts have been so wrong its scary. He made a big post in the last 6 weeks or so stating no one should shoot RAW and you should only shoot jpeg medium (even for huge prints like 30x40). Anything biger is waste of memory space. He also stated if you shoot RAW you will get no more than 12 images on the memory card. His info was so wrong it was scary that he was telling beginners this stuff. He is setting up beginners for failure. He also said a camera like the Nikon D3100 can not take a bad image period no matter what.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 12:52 PM   #5

In "A" or "S" turn the wheel at the back of the camera to adjust speed/aperture...
The self timer/Fn button near the flash can be set up to be used as a quick access iso button, as opposed to using the menu system.

Most of the D40's controls/menu operation can be found here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014, 5:08 PM   #6

Thanks Simon. I played with the A mode today and took several photos of the garden just using different apps settings and with the 55-200 mm lens.
Will keep trying.

Old May 7, 2014, 11:29 AM   #7

Default Yes, I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Ken Rockwell I would not trust anything he says at all. Well some people may like him lately his facts have been so wrong its scary. He made a big post in the last 6 weeks or so stating no one should shoot RAW and you should only shoot jpeg medium (even for huge prints like 30x40). Anything biger is waste of memory space. He also stated if you shoot RAW you will get no more than 12 images on the memory card. His info was so wrong it was scary that he was telling beginners this stuff. He is setting up beginners for failure. He also said a camera like the Nikon D3100 can not take a bad image period no matter what.
The only reason I suggested reading his write up was I think it helps to understand how to use the menus and make settings. The OP said he was having difficulty figuring out how to change settings. And, personally, I don't think the Nikon manual is as concise in explaining how to do that. As far as his ideas on shooting, and file type, and quality settings, etc. are concerned, I think he's clearly out of line.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014, 5:05 PM   #8

Thanks jphess, understand those are important and I appreciate your posts and help.