Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Would you buy a grey market Nikon camera or lens?

Have you ever bought a grey market Nikon camera or lens? Currently all my Nikon stuff is USA not grey market. The price difference is close to $1000 between a grey market Nikon D4s and its USA Nikon counterpart. It is just too tempting....

Did you have any problems servicing your grey market camera or lens? Did you find a third party service center after Nikon had refused fixing it? Are those third party service centers reliable? Are they more expensive than the Nikon USA Service center?

I just want to find out whether it is worth it to save $1000 now and service a grey market product in the USA.

Thanks so much!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:01 PM   #2

Hi,
I live in a place with a thriving grey market.There are no less than a hundred outlets.All are having brisk sales.Sone give a 'shop warranty'.my FZ35/FZ100 were purchased grey.No issues so far.Some of them will direct you to a repair facility.I have all intentions of buying my next DSLR from them,but official purchase in the US is cheaper than tempting grey offer in this part of the world,so I am considering a clean product in my upcoming US visit.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:50 PM   #3

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a camera, especially a new one. I wouldn't take the chance by buying a gray market camera body.

But there aren't a lot of things that can go wrong with a lens, so there aren't a lot of things that you might need warranty service for. So if the price difference was significant, I might do a gray market lens.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:25 PM   #4

G'day MP

Over the last 40+ years of my photo love affair, I have bought a variety of 'local' stock & also 'grey' stock
On most occasions I have not noticed any issues - tho I have had the odd one or two

My most recent 'grey failure' was a couple of years ago with a canon SX-1 superzoom where the rotary dial on the back panel was so wobbly & imprecise that it was hard to use ... so that camera was ebay'd very quickly at 1/2-price

I have bought 'grey' tamron lenses and been very happy, whereas sigma lenses bought locally were quite disappointing. We recently bought a 'grey' panny fz200 recently and 'she' loves it [I am only allowed to stroke it until it purrs ]

I think that the final decision must be yours - if you have any doubts at all, esp with a) quality, and b) reliability & followup service, then grey market is not for you. Pay full 'local' price and have the peace of mind that goes with a local service centre being available

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5

I bought a grey Samsung monitor online, I never knew it was grey until it broke almost a year later and Samsung informed me it was a grey product.
luckily for me Samsung said they would pick it up and see if they could fix it anyway, if it had been a uk one I would have gotten a replacement, anyway they did fix it and its still working now 5 years later

my point being you may not always know your buying a grey product and even if you do, some companies will still try and help you out
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:27 PM   #6

In contrast to kazuya's experience, many companies will simply slam the door shut in your face if you have trouble with a gray market product.

Also, reputable retailers, if they carry gray market products, say so. For instance, Adorama identifies their products either as "USA" or "Grey Market", and B&H identifies their products either as "USA" or "Imported".
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:54 AM   #7

B& H,Adorama carry gray market products.They don't hide it.They are in business and have maintained their repute for decades.So what's wrong buying gray?Only individuals insecure to the core would avoid them.Many gray dealers have a "shop warranty" and fix any issues but wouldn't say it in B&W writing.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:11 AM   #8

The biggest problem with gray market at B&H and Adorama is that I don't see the savings. Almost universally, the USA model includes free shipping where the gray market is "plus shipping" which then comes very close and even exceeds the price of the USA model. Other sites advertise killer low prices for cameras and make it up with the 3rd party warranty where most of the savings evaporates if you elect the warranty. Since this is a Nikon thread, another thing to be aware of on the 3rd party warranty is that the independent shop may not be able to repair it as NikonUSA imports and controls distribution of parts and is in a position to deny key parts availability.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:48 AM   #9

I bought a 50mm 1:1.8D from e-bay for a good price of 105.00 shipped claiming it to be USA with warranty. When I got it I could see right away it was grey, no USA warranty card. I contacted the seller and they claimed to have made me a mistake and after discussing the things I could do to them via E-bay they refunded me 20.00
The lenses works fine and since it isn't a high $$ piece of glass I'm ok with it.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote