Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:19 PM   #31

You froze the action very well Simon, nice picture !

Nikon D800, Olympus E-500
Lordje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM   #32

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopeter View Post
Your quite right Lordje , a comment no matter how brief to a newcomers post would encourage them . Unfortunately it is not the case on this forum. That is the reason I will leave ,I am sure that there are more friendlier forums . Unless this cliquey attitude changes others may follow.
Not sure what you mean by "this cliquey attitude". To the best of my knowledge there is not a clique. As menitiioned before, you can always post pictures in the subject specific forums. I typically post comments on the "Critique" forum since I presume folks are looking for feedback. I also will comment if those who post ask for comments. If an image does not inspire me, I don't say anything...just click and move on.

If you feel strongly about energizing the Nikon DSLR forum, start a thread. Im sure that if it is interesting enough, folks will participate. It is true that the overall level of activity across all of the forums has declined. On the bright side, this thread has seen quite a bit of participation

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:26 PM   #33

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Though I'd put some "action" into the Nikon area...
Great Orme road race... and my trusty D3100... with 50mm f/1.8
Nice concentration on the rider's face...it captures the intensity of the moment. Did you try any panning shots?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Not sure what you mean by "this cliquey attitude". To the best of my knowledge there is not a clique. As menitiioned before, you can always post pictures in the subject specific forums. I typically post comments on the "Critique" forum since I presume folks are looking for feedback. I also will comment if those who post ask for comments. If an image does not inspire me, I don't say anything...just click and move on.

If you feel strongly about energizing the Nikon DSLR forum, start a thread. Im sure that if it is interesting enough, folks will participate. It is true that the overall level of activity across all of the forums has declined. On the bright side, this thread has seen quite a bit of participation

Jehan
Maybe the wrong choice of words .........however you have in a way answered the question . The fact that there are camera specific forums within the forum . I recall thinking about entering a completion ,I then found that entry's were confined to Pentax camera's ! Steve's is no doubt an excellent forum for the advanced enthusiast but not for the not so skilled person to blunder into.
jopeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 5:08 AM   #35

Simon 40..............I like your photo!

Many years ago Peter Sellers had a comedy track called '' The Critics''
jopeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopeter View Post
Maybe the wrong choice of words .........however you have in a way answered the question . The fact that there are camera specific forums within the forum . I recall thinking about entering a completion ,I then found that entry's were confined to Pentax camera's ! Steve's is no doubt an excellent forum for the advanced enthusiast but not for the not so skilled person to blunder into.
Yes, the Pentax forum members started their own weekly thread. Nothing stops you from starting a brand specific one if you choose. But, as mentioned before, why limit things to just one brand? I have to say, your posts really smack of: "no one here does anything. I'm not doing anything either but it's not MY fault". If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Nice concentration on the rider's face...it captures the intensity of the moment. Did you try any panning shots?

Jehan
Normally I would- but the object of the day's exercise was to catch all riders- in focus- for sales purposes.
I was working for a chap who uploads all photo's of the participants onto a sports pictures website for sale.
If I was shooting for the race organizers who wanted a mixture of shots for their website, then yes- there would have been plenty of panning shots..
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
It all comes down to what you are looking for. 5 years ago, photography forums were hugely popular as so many people were getting into it - it allowed a great avenue to discuss photography in general but also the exciting advances in the technology. Participation in many forums has waned. Steve's is no exception. With specific regard to photo sharing:
Originally there was a lot of general excitement about posting and sharing photos because it was new. I think there are a number of people that like a mutual admiration society approach - someone posts a photo and everyone else tells them it's great. The problem is, that gets boring for people after a while. Their ego get's stroked enough and they move on. So, that type of activity on forums doesn't last very long.

The much more interesting discussions, IMO, are around photos themselves - peer review. Again, the focus being on the photography and discussing what is good and bad about it. Again, my personal opinion is - this type of discussion is best done in genre-specific forums not gear forums. Who cares what camera a person shoots with if they have valuable knowledge and insight to share? You can learn much about the photography and even the technology aspect about the gear from people with knowledge and experience regardless of whether they shoot with the same brand camera as you do.

Unfortunately, that's also difficult to keep things fresh and interesting. Lots of people that are very knowledgeable and have good experience get bored with discussing it on the internet. So, while their hobby endures, their participation in discussion forums does not.

Best of luck to those looking for something different than Steve's. There are certainly other sites, but my experience is that other sites experience a similar decline in participation around photography. Still lots of gear-head talk but not so much about photography. I will say, at least Steve's isn't inundated with cat photos. I am thankful for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Guys...

I've been glancing at this thread from time to time without interfering and posting my views.

But, you have to look at the irony in the starting post:

Bold added for emphasis.

IOW, if members don't visit as often, and if others don't visit as often, then there is not as much activity in the forums. So, if you want that to change, visit and post more often, and encourage others you know to visit and post more often. ;-)

The forums here provide a platform that allows photographers to discuss photography, share photos, etc.

Some of the individual forums here are more active than others, because of the community spirit where members have come to know each other over time, share information about their lives and photography, new equipment purchases, technique, etc.

We have no problem if you want to post photos in an individual equipment forum versus a forum that's more subject specific (transportation, wildlife, etc.).

Some of the forums here show that photographers do that because they feel like they're part of a community of members using a given camera brand and they have something in common. Others want to post their photos in subject specific forums to share their interest in a given subject (wildlife, sports, people photos, transportation photos, etc.).

There's no "right and wrong" way to do it. We don't have a problem with either (or both) approaches.

Of course, if members did post more often in the subject specific forums, they'd see more activity; as some of the brand specific forums are not as active as others, and the same thing applies to subject specific forums. But, the only way to make it better is to post more often. ; -)

We have a very "hands off" approach to moderation here, with very few exceptions. For example, we try to keep spam out of the forums here (which can be a job, as I delete spam every day), and we don't want the forums turning into a big "flea market" for buying and selling stuff . If I see posts with personal attacks, or posts that get into religion and politics, I'm probably going to get involved in those, too (and ask members to take those kinds of debates to someplace other than our forums).

That's because we want our forums to be a friendly place for photographers to get together and share info and photos, regardless of their political or religious beliefs, culture and background. There's enough argument in the world over those kinds of differences already, and we'd prefer the forums here to be a friendly community where everyone feels welcome, without those kinds of debates causing hard feelings between members.

But, for the most part, the forum members here are what shape the mood for the forums, where photos are posted, what topics are discussed, etc. So, if you don't like the way things are going, do something about it, and post more photos, discuss topics you're interested in with others, invite others to do the same thing, etc. ;-)

You don't have to be an expert photographer to post photos. Everyone is welcome. In fact, some of what makes a community of members draw closer together is sharing of photos of their kids and grand kids, homes, autos, pets, etc.; just to become better acquainted with other members, regardless of the technical aspects of the photos. It's amazing that we have the technology available that allows us to do that now, making friends that are thousands of miles away and sharing our life experiences with them over the internet via forums like we have here.

If you do want to improve your photography, just ask for critique. We even have a separate Photo Critiques Forum setup just for that purpose (as some members prefer not to have others giving them advise about photos, and just want to share their efforts with others, hence a separate forum just for getting critique).

Many members only want to share their journey through life with others via sharing their photos, and that's great (as the forums give them a chance to make friends and share with others).

Unfortunately, I have seen a drop off in traffic over time. Perhaps that's because so many venues are around now with virtually everyone having a camera of one type or another (even if that's only their camera's phone). I don't know. But, we try to keep the forums a friendly place to visit and post, with a very "hands off" approach to moderation, except for the cases mentioned above.

So, the only way the forums are going to be more active is if members do something about it and post more often and encourage others to do the same thing. ;-)
I think John said it well... at least why I haven't been in as much.
Like I said in the BOLD that Jim showed, I haven't been here much the past year for several reasons... one being that several posts/threads that I subscribe to were no longer getting responses.... I always come in for those and why I came in today.

...and no, I'm not visiting other camera forums... I like this one just fine.
I will try to come in more.

NOTE: I think all the camera phones are taking away from sites such as this as I do visit the one for my Samsung Galaxy S5.
Cell phones with Camera features are big business anymore and stealing thunder away from the average folks who use to use point and shoot cameras and find that the camera phones have caught up with those. That is a huge market right there.
Just my thoughts.
Nikon D700 w/Nikkor 20mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-4.5D ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge

Last edited by jack55; Dec 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: adding info
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:25 AM   #39

Its not just the Nikon forum but I think most of them are experiencing the same thing. I'm a bit surprised thats it is the case with some of the forums such as Nikon or the Fuji forums when you consider the number of "new" cameras such as the D750 that have been announced.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote