Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2004, 11:12 AM   #1

Default D100 or D70?

I just purchased the D100 and I have read so many threads about the D70 being the superior camera, any help with my deicision to return or keep the D100 would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rick
bejersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:44 PM   #2

The Sony F828 had alot of hype but was very disappointing when finally released. I would return the D100 and wait for the reviews of the D70 to be published on a full production model. The D100 will proably go down in price once the D70 is released.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:19 PM   #3

You may return the D100 if you can get a full refund w/o restocking fees, but it's a great camera regardless that it is two years old. I'll skip the D70 and wait for either a D2x or a more professional replacement for the D100, maybe with the body of the F100 and the MultiCam 2000 AF sensor from the D2h. Maybe that camera never comes to life, but I'm happy right now with the D100
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:22 PM   #4

Based upon initial reviews I would do the return a few days before your return policy expires with the vendor you purchased it with. The simple facts speak volumes regarding this camera and considering the technology and features in the camera you would be hard pressed to find a better camera.

Disclaimer: What will your use be for the camera primarily and whats your experience level? Remember some benign features to some are paramount to others.. i.e. Do you *need* a portait grip? need a remote shutter release (manual)?

If you dont need the items it lacks support for ... return the D100 before your return policy lapses, take the $300 or so you save in the process and get the D70 w/lens kit. Worst case you hate it.. you can ebay or return it too LOL

Restocking Fees: Dont apply for cameras that are faulty Sporadic difficult to reproduce intermittent problems and the like are grounds for a return w/o a restocking fee
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 8:30 PM   #5

Thanks ! I kept the D100
bejersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 2:33 PM   #6

The body of the D100 is better and a couple of other things. Personally I would also stay with the D100. It is a great camera! The first review of the D70 stated you have to over compensate the exposure a little with in and out door shots. Saw pictures it took, and I agreed. They did not have that problem with the Canon Rebel, but the D70 beat out the Canon on many other things.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 1:34 AM   #7

D 100 is more pro than D70.
D 70 is an entry level dSLR. Can be a back up for D 100 if you are a pro.
As an amateur D 70 is more than enough for me, the price is nice too but I will wait some more because first of all I want to see the full review and Nikon to fix some problems with a firmware update.
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:50 AM   #8

After hearing of some of these supposed "problems" and issues I'm rethinking my upcoming D70 purchase and going for the D100.

The moire issue with the AA filter and the colour shift issue which Ken Rockwell dubbed IOWCSS (Inscrutable Oriental Warm-Cool 1/8,000 Shutter Syndrome).
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx
After hearing of some of these supposed "problems" and issues I'm rethinking my upcoming D70 purchase and going for the D100.

The moire issue with the AA filter and the colour shift issue which Ken Rockwell dubbed IOWCSS (Inscrutable Oriental Warm-Cool 1/8,000 Shutter Syndrome).
Onyx,

It's your choice obviously, but I wouldn't make any hasty decisions just yet. If I were concerned about the camera, I'd wait for the official reviews to come out (probably be very soon). Also, if you've read all of Ken Rockwell's review, then you'll know he still loves the camera and this is what he says about the 1/4000 color shift:

"To shoot at 1/4,000 or 1/8,000 you'd have to be shooting in broad daylight at f/2.8 at ISO 200, and only time you'd do that is for portraits in which case you'd have scrims to reduce the light levels so you wouldn't be using 1/4,000 anyway."

I ordered the D70 on 2/29 and it came in yesterday. I've only had time to take 150 pictures, but so far I love it. It's fast, focus is sharp, not seen a moire yet, and I'm not the least concerned about the color shift because I doubt, based on my experience, most if any of my shots will get into the 1/4000's and above speed.

Anyway, just a little bit of friendly advice I hope. Feel free to ask me questions if you would like and I can even try some test shots (time providing) if you would like.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:50 AM   #10

Default not sure what to do either

Ive got the same problem.

My dealer has a 6 month old D100 with 24-85 used only a couple of times for 1275.00. The camera is like new. I cant beat that price with the D70 and lens combo special. He will also give me a 6 month warranty.

Should I wait for a D70 to come in or take the D100 and start shooting digital now ????

This will be my first dslr but it wont be my last. I hope to have a truly professional dslr down the road as soon as I can afford it.
Robert Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote