Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 2, 2004, 1:46 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 - Images appear soft, not sharp

I purchased a used D100 a couple of months ago and seem to be having trouble getting images that I am pleased with. Everything out of the camera seems to be soft almost as if they are all slightly out of focus and not tack sharp. They also lack punch in color. Is this typical of the Nikon digital SLR's? Does the Canon 10D or Digital Rebel produce a more vivid image than that of the Nikon? Would taking the camera in to be cleaned possibly help any of these issues? I'm using a Tamron 2.8 28-75mm lens and a Sigma 2.8 70-200 lens. Can anyone help me or should I sell the Nikon and move to the Canon?

Thanks!
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 4:05 PM   #2

Steveís sample shots look great. Wish I could get photos like that from one of my prosumer digitals. Set your browser to not resize the images and compare them to yours. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_...0_samples.html

If your photos donít look like that maybe you need to run through the settings: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_..._d100_pg4.html

Perhaps the previous owner shoots like me with the sharpening, contrast etc at minimum for better post-processing and you just need to bring everything back to normal if you want them in their final form leaving the camera.

Cleaning might help. Most DSLR owners learn to clean their cameras since dust can get in, and it seems to be attracted to the sensor: http://www.kameraklub.co.za/article4.htm and http://photography.about.com/library.../aa122903b.htm
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:59 PM   #3
Administrator

All dSLR images need to be sharpened and leveled to give them the same kind of "punch" as consumer digicam images. This is by design as the anti-aliasing filter over the CCD tends to soften the image as well as the in-camera sharpening routines are nowhere as aggressive as those in the consumer cameras.

Consumers want to see "snappy" looking images that are actually over-saturated and over-sharpened. The advanced and pro users want less in-camera sharpening and more realistic colors. Most of us use Photoshop to do our "final tuning" of images and never alter the original images - we treat them like digital negatives and only work on copies.

The ultimate image quality is achieved by shooting in raw mode and using either Photoshop CS Camera Raw or one of the pro raw conversion programs like Capture One or Bibble or such. With raw you can correct for exposure, color and sharpness with much more latitude than if just trying to correct JPEGs made in the camera. It of course involves an extra step going from raw but most of us feel it is worth the trouble for the results that you get.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
The advanced and pro users want less in-camera sharpening and more realistic colors. Most of us use Photoshop to do our "final tuning" of images and never alter the original images - we treat them like digital negatives and only work on copies.
Steve - do you use any in-camera sharpening at all or do you do it all in PS after the fact?
motownflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, Steve. That being said, what will I be giving up/gaining if I lose the D100 and go to say a Digital Rebel or a 10D from Canon? I do a lot of indoor sports photography (hockey) and outdoor baseball and also a lot of point and shoot amateur type stuff at neighborhood parties and around the house of the family.

Your feedback and OUTSTANDING website are greatly appreciated!

Doug
dakzoo is offline   Reply With Quote