Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:23 PM   #1

Default problem with Nikon D100

Have just encountered a problem with my Nikon D100. Anyone have any ideas?

When looking through the viewfinder it appears as if there is a filter, what you see is considerably darker than what you are actually looking at. I have checked all the settings and changed lenses. The result of this problem is that you cannot clearly see the subject image through the viewfinder making focusing difficult if not impossible. If you take a shot that is focused it shows up fine on the display or when downloaded from the camera.

Appreciate any help or ideas as I am in a remote area. of Mexico.
senorflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:14 PM   #2

I have never touched a D100, so please pardon my ignorance if I'm way off base (I probably am), but does the D100 have a depth of field preview button? Is it possible that is acting up? I ask becauase I know that the D70 has a DOF button which allows you to see the exact depth of field the lens sees. The negative is that if your aperature is f22 for instance, your view finder will be dim. Don't know if this is possble to happen, but just a thought.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:20 AM   #3

Check your "Focus Mode selector button' on the front of the camera M,S,C, Read page 63 in manual. Good luck...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks for both suggestions, have checked all the obvious but still have the problem. Actually have read the manual many times this past week hoping I have missed something. Anyone have any more ideas or is this camera going back to the states for repair. Would love to find that I am overlooking something obvious!
Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:32 PM   #5

Are you using a type D or G lens? What about Diopter control, page 30. I dunno just a guess, Are these Macro shots Check the lens for minnium distance. good Luck...
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:43 PM   #6
DOC

Having experienced what you explain I have found reference to this on page 10 of the owners manual under "no battery" and "the viewfinder display. If the battery is low the viewfinder will dim yet pictures will be normal until the battery becomes exhasted. A similar condition can be caused by extremely high or low teperature.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 7:52 AM   #7

I had a similar problem when the apperture control lever inside of the camera was bent over by a poorly fitting teleconverter. The lens was left working in minimum apperture (f22 in this case). The metering still worked and the camera would produce an image, but the viewfinder was dim and the autofocus failed.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. the camera was still claiming that the apperature was f3.5, but you could see how tightly stopped down the lens was by looking down through it. Like a pin hole.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:26 AM   #8

Graham, you were right, when I looked at the lever it seemed to be slightly bent. I compared it to my other Nikon and it was obvious that it was out of whack. A careful bend in the right direction rectified everything. The symptons were exactly as you described, the difference was night and day. I believe I caused this problem while changing lenses during a night shoot on the beach. Lesson, be extremely careful changing lenses in the dark!

To everyone else who replied, a big thanks also. I had already checked all your suggestions, lenses, battery, etc.

Needless to say, I will be checking this newsgroup often.

Gracias mi amigos from Mexico!
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:50 AM   #9

I'm glad that's it sorted. The gentleman in my local camera repair shop saids just that, be realy careful when you're fitting a lens to a D100. Depending on the design of the lens or teleconverter there may be very little leeway for getting things out of line.

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. I just heard from another aquaintence that they've had the same problem with a teleconverter on the D100. They spent some agonising moments in the field straightening it out.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:12 AM   #10

Another thing that could cause that problem, although I think it would be much more severe, is a stuck depth-of-field preview button. When that button is pressed, the lens is stopped down to the metered setting. Normally the lens aperture remains wide open until the shutter button is depressed.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote