Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:15 PM   #1

Default so i want my first digital slr camera,

can anyone tell me what i should be looking for, i can only spend about $1000 and i'll need a lens, but i do NOT want the canon digital rebel, my friend has one and i just do not like it, i think it looks and feels very cheap. i was thinking of the 10d, d70, or d100, or if they are still decent, a 60d or even 30d, do you guys think i could get any of these for around $1000 with lens or cheaper without so i can afford to buy then lens seperate?

do any of you know of any really cheap/wholesale website where i could get this under retail?

let me know.

by the way, from what ive looked at, the canon 10d looks to be my favorite choice so far.
mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:57 AM   #2

Well if your MAX $ is 1000 your choices are limited to only the EOS 300d for New equipment w/lens. You Could wait for the D70 ($999) and try and find a cheap 50mm prime lens to get you started but remember that these cameras are the core.. you need equal quality optics to get the results the cameras are capable of producing. Also, none of the dSLR's come with memory (youll need at least 512 High Speed), A camera bag (1K camera needs protection), Filter(s) (protect whatever lens you get)....

Realistically you can hit up Ebay for a 2nd hand D60 w/lens for around $600-$800 and get memory and a bag for under 1K.

Personally, I would prefer the 300d or D70 even if it meant I had to wait a few weeks more and save the money for the features found in the new generation of dSLR's. Dont skimp on the lenses either, poor glass will get you mediocre results with an exceptional camera.

Save up another $500 get the D70 which will get you the closest to a more professional look-n-feel.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 10:29 AM   #3

i already have 512 memory from my older digital camera, also, i already have a case for it and all the camera accessories besides a lens because i use 35mm, but i use a pentax and do not really like the review and price of the pentax digital slr.
mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:38 AM   #4

Well if it were me I would not go with the D60 or D30 this late in the game. Its technology is quickly becoming antiquated, however the build quality is very good. Search around the forums for the D60 & D30's low light focus hunting issues before you buy. I do not really like the idea of second hand electronics of any variety so I am preferential to new items. Given your budget contraints I still would stand behind my original advice of waiting for the D70 (w/o lense $999) and finding some "decent" 50mm prime, and an inexpensive zoom. I purchased the 300D out of necessity for a shoot that I had scheduled and planned on returning/exchanging/selling it once the D70 was released but after using the camera for over a week and firing off over 1000 frames I am so content w/the camera I plan on keeping it in any case. Its build quality is not that of the magnesion alloy 10D nor the PolyCarb Nikons however it also depends how much care you use w/your equipment and where you will do most of your shooting. I do mostly indoor and sunny day shoting in addition to bing very careful w/my equipment so I am perfectly content with the ergonomics/ weight/ and feel of the 300D. I also love the notion of Canon glass and Canon "L" lenses. If you are not an avid and die hard enthusiast photographer I seriously doubt the features missing from the rebel are ones you will use daily let alone regularly(exception being FEC). The cost benifit also outweighs the features missing for 90% of ppl who purchase it. $999 w/lense is a great price and in good hands it will produce indistinguishable results from either the D70/D100/10D when fitted with good glass and a good flash.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote