Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2004, 5:11 PM   #1

Default "T"-Adapter

Pardon my ignorance but ...

Are "T" adapters available that can be used with the Nikon DSLRs? If so I think I see a D70 in my future.

Why you ask ?? I would like to be able to use a small collection of telescopes with the camera. I have tried digiscoping and 35mm SLRs (aperture priority). I for prefer the 35mm SLR as focusing is MUCH easier. I am guesing that the DLSRs will have the same advantage.

Thanks in advance.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:47 PM   #2

Yes they are B&H, and RitzCamera bot sell them.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:15 AM   #3
DBB

Lot's of people sell them. There are many brands of T-Adapters. They all are cheap plastic.

I've been buying Bausch and lomb sold under the Bushnell name. They appear to be the best out of a bad group.

My real problem is the little set screws on these gadgets, which loosen up over time. I had one experience where the telescope fell out of the camera, barely caught it before it fell in the sand. I'm having a hard time getting then little allen keys for the Bushnell brand while the other brands use teeny weeny eyeglass screws.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 5:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the information, however I noticed in the review that when using a manual lens the light metering (even manual) is not available. I think I am leaning toward Pentax DSLR now. I also have couple of screw mount pentax lens that might be useable.

Best regards,

Lewis Balentine
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:19 PM   #5
DBB

[quote="...however I noticed in the review that when using a manual lens the light metering (even manual) is not available.

This is certainly news to me and my camera.

You are mistaken. The 3D matrix mode is not available but the others are.

Dave
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:13 PM   #6

>> You are mistaken. <<<

It would not be the first time ... however I went back and looked at the specs for the D70 (copied here for reference).

=======================================
Nikon D70 Lens compatibility
DX Nikkor : All functions supported
Type G or D AF Nikkor : All functions supported
Micro Nikkor 85 mm F2.8D : All functions supported except autofocus and some exposure modes
Other AF Nikkor*2 : All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering, i-TTL balanced fill-fl ash for digital SLR
AI-P Nikkor : All functions supported except 3D color matrix metering, i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR, and autofocus
Non-CPU : Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
*1 IX Nikkor lenses can not be used
*2 Excluding lenses for F3AF
=============================================

Note the section for "NON-CPU":
"Can be used in exposure mode M, but exposure meter does not function"

>> This is certainly news to me and my camera. <<

Is your camera a D70.
I was not aware that they were available yet.

Best regards,

LewTwo
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:16 AM   #7
DBB

There are some contradictions in the specifications. If you note, a number of manual lenses are supported, but without 3D Matix mode.

You're correct I don't have a D70 and it's your money not mine that is going to be spent.

But once again going over the specs, it specifically lists manual lenses that supoort all but the 3Dmatrix mode. I think the specs confuse auto focusing with exposure mode

I'll be happy to bet (up to $5) that I am right on this.

Dave
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:51 AM   #8

Yes, you can use an adapter. I believe a D70 is similar to a D100 in the respect that when using a lens that requires an adapter, all exposure metering is lost, Only Manual Mode works, and the Focus Indicator will work if the lens is f/5.6 or faster.

A NOTE OF CAUTION:
When using a lens that requires an adapter, be careful. Not all lenses take T-mounts (M42 x .75mm threads). Some use Pentax Universal mounts (M42 x 1mm threads). Either adapter will start to screw on to the other threads but will bind up. If forced, you will destroy the thread on one or both pieces. Be sure you know which mount you are dealing with.
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 12:57 PM   #9

>>> There are some contradictions in the specifications. If you note, a number of manual lenses are supported, but without 3D Matix mode. <<<

You may be correct. I am not all that familar with the various incarnations of Nikon lens types. The key info I saw was 'NON-CPU'. I am certain my Celestron WideView telescope does not have a CPU.

>>> I'll be happy to bet (up to $5) that I am right on this. <<<

You may be but I am not going to be the one to bet $1000 that the Manufacturer's specifications are wrong. I might be willing to risk $5.00 on it just to find out. I believe we may have to wait till somebody actually has one in hand.

I am sure Steve will get one to review at some point in time. Perhaps if we ask real nice he will verify exactly what happens with a "totally manual" lens.
==========================

>>Not all lenses take T-mounts (M42 x .75mm threads). Some use Pentax Universal mounts (M42 x 1mm threads). <<<

I am aware of that little inconsistency. It would be too simple to use a single standard. We can not have that.

The lenses I have in mind are Telescopes with "T" mounts.
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:23 PM   #10
DBB

Hi Lew

Let me say this.

I use the D1x and it does support the light meter with a telescope.

Let me go further, this winter I took 5,000 pictures with this camera and a Swarovki spotting scope. After the first 500 I stopped looking at the meter - Period.

Who needs a meter?

The scope is a fixed F stop, depending on the adapter either F10 or F14 - One trip and a hundred NEF's should tell you how to set the shutter speed.

Or to put it another way, I break other kinds of rules. I have my scope mounted on a monopode and for that matter often lift the whole damn contraption up and shoot handlheld. Takes a lot of practice...

Now because I'm interested in action shots as well as still, I'm set on ISO 500, the last ISO before noise becomes a real problem. So, on a sunny day I use the F14 adapter, and shoot at 400, on a cloudy day I use the F10 and shoot at 400.

These numbers are more or less right on target. Still, NEF gives you two stops in either direction to play with (after that you lose signifigant data).

So from time to time I might shoot at 200.

You get used to it in a hurry.

The nice thing about Digital is that who cares how many shots you shoot? You've paid for the camera, the shots are free.

Dave