Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2004, 11:20 PM   #1

Default Nikon D100 Help

I just bought a D100 a couple months ago and so far I love it, but one thing I find I have to do is always correct for contrast after I have downloaded the files. I have used all the exposure modes and have played with bracketing and correcting for contrast on the D100 menu. My question is: Does everyone else have to correct for contrast while leaving the camera menu on default settings? The resulting images after download just seem flat, but with a little adjustment in the editing program, the images look great. I am just curious if anyone else was dealing with this. Any advice would be great!
mdparthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:56 AM   #2

One question. How close to the "correct"* exposure were the values on your images? I say correct because correct is whatever you really aimed to achieve out of camera, without post processing. The closest you are to that, the less you will need to adjust later. But the final product is really a matter of taste, and if you feel your images need a bit more punch to relay your vision - what you saw, not what the camera automatically metered - then by all means, add more punch I sometimes recover some shadow detail, but otherwise I leave the images intact.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:18 AM   #3

marokero - Thanks for the reply, I agree with you, it adds a little punch to the photo and it seems the exposure most be dead on for there to be no adjustment. I try to use A mode on most photos, but do find myself going into Manual just to play with exposures. I am just curious to see if everyone else was doing the same to their images. I have come across some images that need no adjustments and then there are some that need it. I am new to digital and am a loyal Nikon guy. I appreciate the feedback! I wonder if a G lense might make my images better.
mdparthum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 1:50 AM   #4

I'm not so sure about a G lens making images better per se, but I did feel much more confortable working with my 70-200 AF-S G than the previous 80-200 AF-D I used at work. Faster focusing, lighter (not on the pocket though), smoother bokeh, less prone to chomatic aberrations, sharper wide open, better lens collar and tripod foot designs, and the full time manual focus override. Those are the most notable differences I noticed from my previous work lens to my current one (asides from the VR which the previous lens did not have). Nikon is slowly introducing more and more G lenses, but the quality of the optics aren't that much better than their non G siblings, which are already very good
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:42 AM   #5

I find that whether or not the contrast needs to be adjusted depends on the lens that I'm using. My 28-105 usualy benefits from a touch more contrast, the others generaly not. As a result I allow the D100 to automatically set the contrast, and make any subsequent adjustment in Nikon Capture Editor.

Regards,
Graham.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote