Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:28 AM   #21

Default Thanks Steve............

The samle pictures looks great....
I love this baby..... 8)
I'm looking forward for mine to arrive.... 8)
There is a huge backorder list in Belgium as my local store told me.

Again thanks for the Sample pictures. I believe the full review everybody is crazy for is comming soon.
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 8:15 AM   #22

WOW Steve! You're sample picture are great. I saw that your race car picutues were taken at 200mm. Can you tell us what type lenes you shot them with or will that be in your review?

I also noticed that a few of your shots were taken in raw. I know what raw is and what is does for you, etc, but can someone provide me with either reason's or a good web site that extolls the benefits of raw over jpg besides it is lossless,etc. For instance, if I print identical pictures at 5x7, 1 in from raw and 1 from jpg, will I be able to tell the difference? When will I?

Lastly Steve, or someone, I noticed your review contains information on Nikon Capture. If I'm not going to be doing the remote camera control, are there any benefits to using Capture to edit raw over Elements or CS with the Nikon plugin?

Thanks everyone for your help. Steve, I love your reviews and your discussion forum. It's an awesome site which I've recommended to many of my friends.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:16 PM   #23

I haven't been looking at digital pictures very long, so I'm not sure how to judge camera test images. However, in comparing the D70 photos with the 300D photos in the reviews on this site, the D70 photos seem sharper than those of the 300D. Is this a valid conclusion?
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:29 PM   #24

Default Serious jaggies in D70 sample pic

Hopefully this is just an artifact of the 'converted from RAW' step.

If you zoom in a couple times on any near-vertical line, particularly on the orange surf-skis, you see frightful jaggies. I couldn't see these on any of the other D70 sample pics here, nor on a similar pic of approximately this scene taken a while back with the Sony MVC-CD500.

Any idea what caused this?
theonetruepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 8:39 PM   #25

Default D70 sample pic jaggies

Doh... sry forgot to say which pic. It's
dsc_1365_nef.jpg
link here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...c_1365_nef.jpg

Zoom in on the tops of the orange boards near the left.
theonetruepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:04 PM   #26

Default Nikon D70 - Hot Spot Champ!!!

Nice camera - shame about the Hot Spots - two or three near the head of Mr M&M - we are talking super nova Hot Spots and a couple that only show in or around 1600 ISO.

Ouch!

Anyone else noticed? However, on the sample image reproduce by 'biggles' the images as 'spotless'. Is this another lottery? I remember taking back three Olympus C3000 cameras before I found one with no hot spots.

Anyway, enough about hot spots...

... Phillip Rhodes
Phillip Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 4:17 PM   #27

I could be wrong, but those don't apppear to be hot spots. Looks like the poster in the backgound is of a bridge or some structure with a good many lights on it; a couple of those lights are just real close to his head making it appear to be hot spots.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:52 AM   #28

:shock: Ah, yes - lights on the bridge in the picture behind Mk M&M. Do I look the fool? Though there are still one or two hot spots - honest

Phillip Rhodes ops:
Phillip Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:36 PM   #29
Administrator

OK folks, please start another topic thread this one is getting a tad long in the tooth so it is now locked.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote