Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:42 PM   #1

Default Weird! I was stuck on X250 in shutter mode in D500

I went to check out the Eagles Nest near where I live and when I was trying to adjust the shutter speed in Shutter mode on my D500 I couldn't go above 250. Looked and it stopped at X250. No matter what I did it stayed there. I could go less, but not over 250. The other modes worked OK, but not Shutter mode. Googled, read manual, couldn't figure it out. Went to bed frustrated, woke up at 3am frustrated... was dinking around with settings, decided to see if the timer settings I used the night before shooting the moon had something to do with it. VIOLA! Apparently in timer mode, I had accidently set it in manual mode to X250. Took it off X250 in timer and then moved the mode dial to CH, then shutter mode and now it works. Now if I put it on X250 at least I can go past that.

Question is: Is that normal?

The main reason I was showing this is if it happened to me, I could to someone else down the road. So instead of losing time, you know what to do to fix it. In fact, had I not had a similar incident with my D7200, it may have taken me even longer to figure it out. This can ruin a photo op trip. This time around I knew to go back to my timer, bulb settings. Here is what happened last time:

Last October when I was at Mt Rainier shooting stars at 5am and couldn't until evening because of cloud cover, I was lucky as had I shot the morning stars, then had I went to shoot the sunrise, (and rest of the day) I would have had a camera I couldn't use... as I didn't have my manual or internet connection to find out what to do. Here is what happened.

To shoot stars, I had to put the mode dial on manual, then turn the rear main control dial to lower the shutter speed until I reached "Bulb". Then I use the front dial to adjust the aperture I wanted. Anyways, when I was done, I turned the mode dial back to shutter speed, put the camera away and went home. So two days later when I tried shooting hummers in my yard, it wouldn't shoot??? The screen was showing "bulb" and stayed stuck there no matter what setting I tried, shutter, aperture, program etc. I shut the camera off, took batteries out... same thing.

So I went online to find the problem... assuming maybe my camera was faulty and might have to send it in to be fixed. What I found out online was if you don't take it off bulb while in manual mode, it stays stuck there even if you switch the dial over to shutter/aperture/program modes. So I did that, "viola"! The camera worked again.

Here is the website with star photo at bottom:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/20...ectionLake.htm
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:04 PM   #2

Interesting... couldn't help trying to replicate that scenario on my D300... but alas,could not... shutter speed fully adjustable..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:43 AM   #3
NHL

This only happens to me if I use a flash (1/250)
If I turn the flash off (when it was still on the camera) then I can go above 1/250 again.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL View Post
This only happens to me if I use a flash (1/250)
If I turn the flash off (when it was still on the camera) then I can go above 1/250 again.
Yeah, your right there, but this one was my fault, I was turning the dial the wrong way. It takes a long time, many rotations for it to work it back up to 30/60/100 sec and up. It stops at X250 the other way.
Nikon D500 w/MB-D17 Battery Grip
Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR
Nikkor AF-S 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR
Nikon TC-14E-III 1.4x AF-S / 2 Nikon SB-800
Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod & mono-pod
Samsung S7 Edge
jack55 is offline   Reply With Quote