Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 9, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1

Default D7100/18-105 mm lens; can someone help me?

I broke my camera. Since I'm retired I couldn't afford to move up and I purchased another D7100. I really don't mind because I basically like the camera. I'm not worried about the buffer. I mostly use the 18-105 mm lens. Sometimes when I format the card, when the formatting finishes, the camera will start scrolling through the menu system. I thought this was a problem with the old camera that I broke. But it is also doing it with the new one. I "think" that it only does it with this one lens. I haven't done a lot with other lenses with this new one yet so I can't really confirm that. Other than that little anomaly, my 18-105 works satisfactorily. The focus is sharp, it focuses quickly. Should I be concerned? I'm on a rather tight budget and can't just run out and buy another lens because I want one. Or is this a lens problem? I'm using the same SD card. Could it be card related? Hadn't thought about that till now. Thing is, it doesn't happen every time. When it does happen I can turn the camera off and back on and format the card again and it never repeats the scrolling. Seems kind of weird to me.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Try leaving the battery out for a full 24 hours with that lens attached. When you put the battery back in and turn the camera on, it should ask you for the date and time.

BTW, having a spare SD Card is always a good idea.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Looks like it isn't the lens. I switched to my 35mm and did some shooting this morning. The camera behaved the same way. It can't be the camera because the old camera acted the same. The new camera has the 1.03 firmware on it. So it must be the card. I have other cards. Guess it's time to switch out the card and see what happens.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:45 PM   #4

@jphess

For what it's worth, I've been using two of the following cards in my D7000 for about four years without the problem you describe. I format fairly regularly. I have the second card set up as a backup for the first. Not sure if the exact card is still in production:

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 45MB/s SDSDX-016G-X46

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2017, 7:21 PM   #5

This card is a SanDisk 8 GB Ultra that I have been using for a number of years. Actually, I'm quite rough on cards. I have a disability and I'm quite shaky. I have literally ruined several cards just trying to insert them into the card reader that is built into the computer. I have had to stop using that reader and use an external reader that I can plug it into a dongle that is plugged into a USB port. That way I can brace myself as I plug everything in. So it doesn't surprise me that I have damaged another card. So far the card I'm using now isn't causing the problem I have described. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:26 AM   #6

I'm sorry to hear about your shaking hands. I can't picture how much more complicated certain tasks must be.

I'm so used to just using a USB-cable to transfer my photos from my camera to my PC that I didn't even think of pulling out the memory cards to do this. I've no idea how my cards would have held up if I kept taking them in and out all of the time.

Mike
mike_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 11:17 AM   #7

Don't be sorry. This has been a lifelong challenge of learning how to adapt. I have a good sturdy tripod and use a remote release with the camera. So I get along quite well most of the time. If I use my standalone card reader I do quite well handling the cards, too. Just have to develop a good sense of humor. Others have asked how I chose such a hobby. I tell them that I just shared between the shakes.