Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:19 AM   #1

Default London Nocturn -Cycling Road Race

A few snaps from the annual London Nocturn Road race in the City of London. The event this year was on a much larger scale and the location had moved to the more picturesque St Pauls Cathedral and the Bank of England areas. This was a problem esp towards the end of the day with the shadows caused by the buildings. By the time the pro womens race started, my spot was essentially in shadow.

This event was one of the reasons why I switched away from Oly and to Nikon - I'm not sure if I would have gone if I didn't have the D800.

A few points - I should have cranked up the ISO to 1600 and not worry about it but I was somehow still thinking as I was using my E3 so didnt really use it when it was required.

The 85mm surprisingly was a really good FL for the event. I was worried about not having enough reach but I think my positioning helped. The size of the wee beastie is great, with a 70-200 I would have stood out like a sore thumb.

The AF was behaving not as much as I'd have liked but it was much better than before. I wasn;t able to accurately track and focus lock on the winning riders of each race - all of those were OOF, even though I had a clear view of the riders approaching the finish line. The winner of men's race - every shot in the sequence was OOF, the closest to being in focus I converted to B&W as it still captured the moment and looks acceptable sharpness wise.

The AF on the 85 was pretty snappy, but would faster focus motors have helped with the keeper rate ? Still a high number of OFF pics, but I'm happy with what I managed to get (a lot more than if I had the E3+35-100F2).

Battery life, I'm still really impressed with the Nikon battery .. its excellent.

The 5fps at these races seemed to be aok although the next road race I really found the time to clear the buffer really painful.

I spotted a Canon 5D shooter with a flash bracket and side mounted flash, not sure if that would help with the keeper rate and improve pic quality>

The gallery:

https://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograp...2017/n-KPm99w/

Last edited by HarjTT; Aug 28, 2017 at 2:29 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:02 PM   #2

Fantastic series Harj,

I really like the nice vibrant colors and sharp pictures.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:55 AM   #3

I really liked the variations of colors and the way it is captured.

Thanks for posting and keep sharing.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote