Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:15 PM   #1

Default Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 - aperture control with the camera

Hi folks!
Has anybody here experience with such a lens on Nikon DSLR's?

- I bought a used Zeiss 135mm f/2 Apo Sonnar T* ZF.2 for my Nikon D750 and cannot figure out HOW to activate the aperture control from within the camera by using the Sub-Control Dial (on the front) to change the aperture values.

- In the Zeiss Instruction Manual it says:
"This ensures metering compatibility with all current Nikon DSLRs. When locked at the smallest aperture (marked in orange colour), the aperture can be set on the camera with any current Nikon DSLR (just as with any AF lens that features an aperture ring). There's an unlock button on the lens to release the aperture ring and set the aperture on the lens instead"

- When my lens is set to its larges aperture-value (f/22) and locked there - as described in the manual - nothing happens when I turn the Sub-Control Dial and the aperture remains on f/22, but when I MANUALLY turn the aperture-ring on the lens, the aperture changes accordingly, and the metering (in Aperture Priority Mode) is correct. The right aperture-value is shown in the contral-panel (camera-top) and in the viewfinder. Also all the right data is written into the EXIF.

- I have also entered the correct lens-information into the camera's menu systen under "Non-CPU Lens data" and all that is working O.K.

- Has anyone any ideas of what is wrong? How to go about?

- I have to add that I also have a Carl Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 ZF.2 which works just fine on my D750 with full aperture control by the Sub-Control Dial on the camera when the aperture-ring is locked at the smallest aperture f/22 (marked in orange colour) as described in the user manual, so I guess the fault must be with the 135mm-lens, rather than any settings in the menu of the D750 ...

Best regards,
Walter from Norway!

https://foto.no/i/1073983

BTW - Its a lovely pice of glass and build-quality to hold in the hand and use, mostly on the tripod. Very, very sharp!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 5, 2017 at 7:00 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links