Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:13 PM   #1

Default London Marathon 2017

A few months late with these but the London Marathon was my first real outing with the D800 and the 85mm exclusively, CA-F mode. I was lucky enough to have bought the D800 just a week or so before the marathon.

1. Martin Conway, Paralympic Wheelchair racer (cropped). The only shot in a 5 in critical focus .

2. Feyisa Lilesa (Euthopia) - Elite Athlete. 6-7 shots in the sequnce with only 2 in crtical focus.

3. Club runner No 57733 (cropped). All 5 shots in the sequence where in focus.

Considering I only had the camera for a week or so, I was really happy with the results. When the cam nailed the focus the pics are simply tack sharp and the detail even with the 85 1.8G looks stunning. I was worried about the FL and not enough reach and if I had stayed at my usual location for my E3 the 85mm would have been way short. CA-F .. a huge improvement over the E3, tracking was a bit hit and miss but 50% of in foucs pics rather than the 15% or less with the Oly. Considering my total lack of experience i cant complain. So glad I made the switch to Nikon and the D800

Here's the gallery its still a work in progress:

https://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograp...2017/n-5GspmZ/

After the marathon, the next tme I used the cam the AF just just flaked out and I still havent been able to work out what caused it.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Sep 8, 2017 at 6:48 PM. Reason: 15% a more realistic keeper rate with CAF/tracking runners using E3+35-100F2
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links