Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:18 PM   #1

Default Open Nikon D70 RAW files in PhotoShop Elements 2.0

I saw in another forum someone commenting that they were suprised Elements 2.0 could open their D70 nef file because they thought it would be incompatible ......

Me, I was just surprised Elements 2.0 opened nef files without a plugin as I didn't know Elements had the ability built into it. I decided I'd test this and sure enough, I was able to open an nef file from my D70 in Elements just fine and I have no plugins for this. Only other nef software I have installed is the the trial edtition of Nikon Capture.

Just thought I would pass this along if someone had Elements and a D70.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:24 PM   #2

thanks for the info. I have the 300D and have yet to try shooting RAW files. Now that I know PSE II will work maybe I'll give it a try next time.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:40 AM   #3

oops, I have an update. When you install Nikon View 6.2 or PictureProject 1.0, it installs a plugin to open RAW files in CS or Elements and I did not realize this ......

So, for those of you more familiar than working in RAW, why did you choose RAW? Do you find your pictures are that much better? How long do you spend editing or what is your typical work flow? Lastly, if Nikon makes a plugin to open RAW in CS or Elements, why would I want to buy Nikon Capture. What can it do that just blows the socks off CS or Elements? I've played with Capture a bit and I haven't gotten very far with it yet.

Thanks for any help/insight.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2004, 11:59 AM   #4

My understanding is that RAW files are not processed by the camera and are essentially "virgin"

They take more processing on your part, setting white balance tweaking contrast, saturation and other things you would probably do anyway with JPEGS.

Why would you want to buy the Nikon interface...PSEll is a "dumbed" down version of PS and I would guess that your Nikon software was developed specifically with Nikon cameras in mind and may do more than PSEll. If it does, I don't know but maybe an actual user will reply.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote