Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Just tried a D70

I tried a d70 in our local Media Markt the other day and have to say I was dissappointed. The feel and features of the camera are just superb, I have tried a few DSLRs anreally liked the feel of this one. So why was I dissappointed? Well they let me shoot a few pictures on my own CF card and when I got them home they just werent what I expected. My real problem is the amount of noise in shaded areas. I know it was poor lighting and the camera was on fully auto but even so I would expect better. Any ideas why they came out so noisey. This is a link to the worst of the pictures. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/richard.morton/

Please let me know if there is an obvious problem with the settings as I would love to get this camera but on my simple try out I wont just yet. [/img]
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:09 AM   #2
DBB

Well

What were the settings?

ISO?

Aperature

Speed

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:10 AM   #3

I downloaded the picture to view the exif data and saw your picuture is noisy because it was taken at iso 1600. The higher the iso, the more noise you're going to get. I've taken a few iso 1600 shots just as a test and they were not as noisy as this one, but I used the flash to give more light. It appears you just used ambient light only which probably wasn't much. Check out Steve's review. He has some sample pictures now and they are incredible in my opinion.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:17 AM   #4

Great !!!! that does help explain it. For some reason I couldnt find the the ISO value. I assume that the mix of High ISO no flash and F5 apperture would produce a deal of noise. This is important to me as I want to use the camera in low light. I must say the lens they offered was not as good as the new kit lens so I will keep looking and maybe try to have another go with one before I decide.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:55 AM   #5

Glad I could help. Next time you look at the camera, with it on and the monitor off, press the iso button on the back of the camera . Then look at the lcd on top and you'll see the iso. If you want to adjust the iso up or down, continue to hold the iso button in and rotate the dial (the one on the back side) this way <-- to lower the iso or this way --> to raise the iso.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 2:11 PM   #6

Well armed with your comments ringing in my ears I set off for Media Markt and set about both the D70 and the DRebel!! ... What a mistake, I now want both and a 10d for big occasions!

The results are here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/richard.morton/

My initial thoughts are D70 wow FAST ergonomic and good pictures, but they are generally darker than the Drebel and one did come out with a blue cast. I would imagine the darker images may well be better suited to printing.

Drebel wow Fast enough (but not instant like the Nikon) Feels good in the hand and takes fantastic shots. It did sound a little less "definate" when the shutter goes off than the Nikon but still not bad.

I also think that the viewfinder was a little clearer/larger on the DRebel.

So for me it is safe to say that I would not be unhappy with either of these. My final descision will be down to price and lens system... where have I heard that before.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:16 PM   #7

Glad to hear you had better luck shooting this time. I've had my D70 for a week now and I just love it. I haven't really noticed my day pictures being dark, but I have noticed that my flash pictures are a little darker. I'll either just correct it after the fact or use the on board exposure compensation. I've got an SB-800 flash coming in Thursday so I'm waiting to see what that does first.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either camera. I read that the D70 is quicker on startup and can take more frames per second as well as a few other features here and there, but I feel they both take good pictures. A friend of mine has the Rebel and he is happy with his.
Old May 12, 2004, 3:24 AM   #8

biggles wrote:
Quote:
My initial thoughts are D70 wow FAST ergonomic and good pictures, but they are generally darker than the Drebel and one did come out with a blue cast. I would imagine the darker images may well be better suited to printing.
The pics do seem darker with the D70, but the included software provides excellent one-click re-balancing that instantly sorted out any complaints I had about the pictures. The blue cast would have been white balance, it's possible that one picture was lit by a different light-source to the others (eg. fluro main lights, but halogen lights over display cases). That can make auto-whitebalance a tad unreliable on some cameras.

I picked up my D70 yesteday after lurking in these forums for a little while. Very very happy with it. Like biggles, I found that the instant-on is a big bonus and love the ergonomics of the camera.
Lurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 10:32 AM   #9

Hi biggles! I have both the Digital Rebel and the D70 and I love them both! The D70 does feel and look more professional,isfaster, also has a few more features. The final decision on what camera to get is up to you, you must consider your budget, your needs, etc... I see the Rebel more like an everyday high end FUN camera, and the Nikon as my SPECIAL toy that comes out of the bag once a week for that special shot!!!
private is offline   Reply With Quote