Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:21 PM   #11
NHL

I don't know about anyone else but the SD10 looks the best, and with the best details too! :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:39 PM   #12

Soon i will be buying either the Rebel or the D70.
Ive been looking around for reviews and suggestions.
Here is a good one i found. Waiting on Steve's.
I have til June to decide so plenty of time.
I mostly take action sports shots every kind.
Here is the link to the review tell me what you think.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm

Here is a link to some of my many shots with my olympus E100RS.

http://www.pbase.com/yankees
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:06 AM   #13

Nanc,

I just got a D70 last friday. Last weekend it was the Canadian freestyle skiing championship. The D70 is so fast that i was able to shoot 3 times when they were jumping. For sport i think only a Nikon D2H can probably beat the D70. The camera is so fast that i was shooting a little bit too soon in some case. The only thing i would like to see improve a bit is the JPG engine that seems to be too aggressive.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:32 AM   #14

For the Nikon system, yes the 4mp D2H is the top end for speed at 8 fps.
But the Canon 8.3mp 1d-MKII is a speed demon at 8.5 frames a second as well.

Both these bodies are way out of the price range of the d70/dRebel lines
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 9:19 PM   #15

With all these negative comments about the D70, I'm glad that I'm waiting for Steve's conclusion before putting down any money money down on a D70 of my own..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 10:36 AM   #16

Default Nikon MB-5700 battery pack improves the 8700 to perfection.

I have Had My 8700 for A week now and I sure do like it. I purchased A Nikon MB-E5700 battery pack that uses six AA batterys and it Has the added feature of getting the fingers away from the buttons on the side. It also is perfect for vertical photo's because it has A shutter release button and A zoom range rocker switch built into it. It makes the 8700 feel just great to hold and use. I bought it because I like using my rechargeble AA's. If I need to I can use plain AA's in A pinch that can be purchased anyplace. As far as Quality photographs are concerned I am more then pleased with the 8700. I have printed up to 13 X 19 inch on My epson 1280 and they are perfect in every way. My 990 prints that size alway looked like they were printed wrong. If You have A Nikon 8700 I would suggest the MB-E5700. It is well worth the $149.00 to make the camera feel like A 35MM full size camera without the bulk or the weight.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:32 PM   #17

I don't think D70 is the dissapointment of the year.
The prople talk soo much about the camera and their expectations was very high than a entry level dSLR can do.
Everybody thought, out of the box images are going to be better than the other dSLR's.
Every new product has their own faults in the begining and in time they can be corrected.
I believe; moire, color shift, traffic light, blooming is due to the lack of dSLR and photography knowledge.
But in the second hand Nikon has to do something to fix some of them with a firmware update.
People who jump from their point and shoot cams they are right to expect better images with D70 by shooting the sceene modes.
Yes, as Seteve says it's a 999 $ dSLR but in Europe it's a ~ 1750 $ dSLR. Sure, I expect far better images from my CP 4300 with the scene modes or auto mode.
Yes, there are faulty ones on the market but I believe it is due to the quality control department and they need experience too...
80.000 cameras a month it's a huge production.
Some out of the box images are great and some of them looks very bad.
I would like to give some times to Nikon.

I personaly stopped my order. Waiting for the reviews.
I believe Steve will tel us everything about the cam and most of us will decide to buy or not.

Excuse me of my english....
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 12:39 PM   #18

Default Re: Nikon MB-5700 battery pack improves the 8700 to perfecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie948
I have Had My 8700 for A week now and I sure do like it. I purchased A Nikon MB-E5700 battery pack that uses six AA batterys and it Has the added feature of getting the fingers away from the buttons on the side. It also is perfect for vertical photo's because it has A shutter release button and A zoom range rocker switch built into it. It makes the 8700 feel just great to hold and use. I bought it because I like using my rechargeble AA's. If I need to I can use plain AA's in A pinch that can be purchased anyplace. As far as Quality photographs are concerned I am more then pleased with the 8700. I have printed up to 13 X 19 inch on My epson 1280 and they are perfect in every way. My 990 prints that size alway looked like they were printed wrong. If You have A Nikon 8700 I would suggest the MB-E5700. It is well worth the $149.00 to make the camera feel like A 35MM full size camera without the bulk or the weight.
Glad to here of you satisfaction. In the end our individual happiness with our choices are the goal.

I was briefly very interested in the 5700 and 8700. They seemed to perhaps be a compromise
between my desire for a DSLR and my family's desire for a compact digital camera.

I am no pro (by a long shot) nor am I a camera snob ( my research always seeks the meeting point between value and performance).

However, that being said, my interest in these cameras quickly vacated once I held these cameras.
The digital eyepiece, sluggish zoom and speed to focus all told me I would need a DSLR.

So sadly my pickiness will cost me an extra $300-800.
jcjf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 7:10 PM   #19

Not that I would go to this site ,but for those of you that are looking for a finished review untill Steve's is complete, dpreview.com has released their finalized review. I didn't really look at it that closely, but it seemed favorable for the camera.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 9:27 PM   #20
Administrator

I not only encourage people to read the reviews at other sites, I even post links to them on my conclusion page. By all means, go to Phil's site and read his review and read mine when it's done (right now we are waiting on a SB-600) and also read the reviews at Imaging-Resource and DC Resource too. You can't get enough opinions before spending money -- and try to actually find a store near you where you can hold it and hopefully try it. Sometimes those great cameras don't feel right in your hands.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote