Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:19 AM   #21

that's right steve...even the other review (erm Phil's that is) gave a high mark on D70 and concluded it as Highly Recommended. Well, he did mention on the moire but for me it's not an issue. the good points very much outweigh the bad points.

my 2 cents
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:32 AM   #22

I am waiting for two things before I buy mine...

1) Steve's Conclusion. ( I noticed that dpreview's flash section was "to be completed" as well.. SB-600 shortage? )

2) The camera to come back in stock!
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumWeaver
1) Steve's Conclusion. ( I noticed that dpreview's flash section was "to be completed" as well.. SB-600 shortage? )
SB-600 has not been released yet, from what i read most likely somewhere in May/June and price less than SB-800.

rgds
Old Apr 6, 2004, 1:48 AM   #24

So no conclusion till June? Okay... now i'm just waiting for one thing then
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 8:43 AM   #25

Normally every day after work, when I go home there are 4 sites I visit;

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.imaging-resource.com/

http://www.dcresource.com/

These sites are my major sites to read and learn. 8)

Steve's forums and DP review forums are the best for me and I jump (Zapping) one to the other....

For buying the Nikon D70 I would wait for Steve's review like most of you. :twisted:

This site was the first one I found when I was searching some info to buy a digital camera and Steve is the VICTIM who made up my mind to buy the CP 4300 and I'm happy with MY(!) decission. :lol:

Some feeling inside me is telling that; I have to read Seves Full review two times ( Because of my english )before my decission.

After Steves post above about moire etc. I stopped to be worry about that. :lol:

But I'm worrying now about the Quality control of Nikon D70 like in the conclusion of Phil Askey;

Some reported quality control problems with early cameras (we did not experience this) :? :?

May be most of the cons Phill find can be fixed by a firmware update and I'm expecting Nikon to do that. :? ( I'm still worrying)

May be I'm too picky, but something in me says wait for Steves full review. :? :lol:
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:05 AM   #26

I too am waiting on Steve's review before purchasing a D70. June is a long wait. Steve, how about going ahead with the review, then adding the SB-600 comments when it's available for testing? For my purchase, I'm planning on going with the 800 anyway.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:03 PM   #27

I definitely can understand what The Conqueror and Deane mean about waiting on Steve's review as I highly trust his reviews too. Me, I had already sold my old camera and didn't want to be without one for a couple months or more, so I took a gamble as I'm impatient and I figured I could always return the camera if I didn't like it. Fortunately for me, it worked out. I read around various sites for tips and to get a general feel for how others like the camera and most seem favorable for an entry level DSLR ... even Steve's comments about the camera seem good. I've had mine for 3 weeks and still love it. It's fast, lens seems sharp (for my taste anyway). I've had a few moire shots now, but most come out just fine and the moire shots I had weren't that noticable ... except one of my TV that was on, but who cares. I kinda expect a bad shot of my TV. In additional to Steve's review, you guys ought to check out sample pictures; you can find tons on pbase.com with their search engine.

Deane,

I bought the SB800 flash and I think you'll love it. It's a great flash.

Only complaint I have with my camera is I already have 1 dust spot , but it's only noticeable in the upper right corner of the sky and it is easily cloned out .... bound to happen sooner or later I suppose, but I was hopeing for a littler later as I don't have an air blower or anything to clean my sensor yet; I'll probably buy the kit that Steve reccomends in his review.

To buy or not I know it is not easy an easy deision to make with all the conficting information. You have to keep in mind though that it is an entry level DSLR and as such your going to get negative feedback from people who don't understand the basics of photography; they blame the hardware when in reality it is their technique that needs improvement.

Well, anyway Good luck on your decisions.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:20 AM   #28
Administrator

I am hoping that Nikon can get us a SB-600 in the next couple of weeks. If not we will push on and complete the review. It would be a shame as this speedlight is an integral part of the new D70 system as a whole. I can only make it work in manual with my SB50 but it does work quite well with the popup flash. Such is life with Nikon, the cameras are always first and often you can wait a very long time for the promised accessories.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 2:24 AM   #29

hi steve,

i have this problem, i also have one SB50DX but it seems that it always fires at full power even though i put the Manual flash to reduce it to 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2. what settings did you use? or is the manual flash control only for built in speedlight?

Is there something wrong with the flash or my D70?

any help appreciated.

rgds
faizal
Old Apr 8, 2004, 1:24 PM   #30

Default About moiré reduction

Steve,
in your sample for the high moire reduction I see something strange in the color around the blue rod near the one way, something as a blue ghost, does this strange artefact come from the moire plugin or if it is present in the original nef also?

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...c_1391_nef.jpg

and here we see on the jpeg that this problem is a less visible

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...s/dsc_1393.jpg

alex
alexvaib is offline   Reply With Quote