Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:15 AM   #31

D70 is not that sharp in first photo, deeper red in brick
D70 2nd shot shows what you can do with simple editing to change the color. Change makes the brick look more natural.
D100: Bricks and windows look sharper. Good color. This is one of my favorites. It looks the way I would want the picture to look.
Rebel: Not as sharp as the D100, color of the brick looks a faded red
Canon D10, color is not as red, more natural looking, a little sharper on the windows.
D2H Another favorite of mine. Very good Representative of what I would want.
1DL Too much red in the brick though the picture is sharp and clear
Sigma has too much dark brown in the brick, Nice clear picture.
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:30 AM   #32

I've experimented with a very old Metz hotshoe flash on my D70 and it seems to work just fine. Exposes fairly well (not as well as with its built in flash however). IMO the SB600/800 are not strictly needed for the D70 to be useful with a flash system.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:05 PM   #33

Now on DP review forums the new talk is about Back Focusing problems.

Seems like some of the cameras has Back Focusing problem. :?

Over here in this forum did anyone notice that Back focusing problem with his/her D70 ?????????
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Conqueror
Now on DP review forums the new talk is about Back Focusing problems.

Seems like some of the cameras has Back Focusing problem. :?

Over here in this forum did anyone notice that Back focusing problem with his/her D70 ?????????
Yes - I've read several posts there. I ran a few suggested tests and some of my own and I do experience the problem in several scenarios - If you focus (manual or auto) on an object and there is another object behind, the back object is clear and the front object is blurry. And it doesn't have to be a 3D object - possibly for example sand in the background. One example was 2 ducks in a pond. I was about 15 or 20 feet away - I focused on the eye of the duck in the front (profile) and it came out blurry. The duck behind (about 10"-12") was in focus. Wierd and annoying. I'll probably return my camera and wait this out.
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 5:25 PM   #35

The back focus issue is getting large over there and I think we are lucky that Steve "still" he is trying to finish his review and he will inform us about that back focus issue in his review. :shock:
It's important to know if the "back focus" prob. is in your camera or lens.

I think Nikon is allready informed about this problem, lots of cameras are being exchanged and sended back to Nikon. :?

Nikon has to do something about the Quality control Department. :evil:

I wonder what Nikon do with the exchanged ones..... are they repaired and packed again and going to be sold as a new one...does anybody knows anyting about it. :x

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
The Conqueror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:05 PM   #36

I wonder how many experiencing back focus issues (especially on the DoPehead forums) have their diopter adjustment set up correctly. The range is -1.6 to +0.5, which means that if the slider is placed in the centre it's not true zero, it would have to be slightly biased towards negative to give a true focus for someone with flawless 20/20 vision.

Also, do these folks also realise the depth of field behind the focal plane is larger than in front of it (in approx 2/3 to 1/3 ratio), hence you will always get more sharpness behind the marker on the ruler than in front of it. It's part of optics theory, unchangeable physics... I wonder what miracle is needed to convince some.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:30 AM   #37

Good point Onyx. I hadn't thought about what you are saying, but it makes sense. I have found it interesting that none of the reviews I've seen on the camera report big focus problems. If there was a major problem, you would think that just one review site would see something and the worst I've seen is maybe be one say the focus can be soft. I usually just stay away from that forum for the most part as they just seem to find things to complain about. I noticed Steve's review is now complete and it looks great! All the more confirms I made a good choice in going with Nikon!
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:19 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx
I wonder how many experiencing back focus issues (especially on the DoPehead forums) have their diopter adjustment set up correctly. The range is -1.6 to +0.5, which means that if the slider is placed in the centre it's not true zero, it would have to be slightly biased towards negative to give a true focus for someone with flawless 20/20 vision.

Also, do these folks also realise the depth of field behind the focal plane is larger than in front of it (in approx 2/3 to 1/3 ratio), hence you will always get more sharpness behind the marker on the ruler than in front of it. It's part of optics theory, unchangeable physics... I wonder what miracle is needed to convince some.
I hadn't thought about the diopter - thanks for pointing that out. I really like the D70 a lot and I'm not as experienced as many, so I'm sure I'm causing some problems. I've had some strange colors show up in a couple of shots too - one indoor with flash - a purplish color on a grey shirt (only 1 out of 3 of the same shot), and one outdoor shot no flash - a bluish color at the bottom of a shot of some trees. So forgetting rulers and grids, etc. there have been a couple of weird things I've never experienced with other (consumer-level) digicams. I really want to be satisfied because I think the camera is exceptional. I'd appreciate any input - you appear to be very experienced. Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther
\I really want to be satisfied because I think the camera is exceptional.
This seems to be a recurring theme. Between the moire problems (worse than any other camera in this price range), the focus problems, and the poor quality of the sample photos that Steve posted (look at that brick building again), I really have to wonder why people are raving about this camera. I love Nikon as much as anyone -- I'm *still* quite fond of my 990 -- but even great companies make the occasional dud.

I honestly think that if the D70 had been, say, a Casio, the reviewers would have savaged it. The feature set is first-rate, no doubt, but the image quality just isn't there. In the end, that's the only thing that matters.

Jeff
bonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:19 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwick
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther
\I really want to be satisfied because I think the camera is exceptional.
This seems to be a recurring theme. Between the moire problems (worse than any other camera in this price range), the focus problems, and the poor quality of the sample photos that Steve posted (look at that brick building again), I really have to wonder why people are raving about this camera. I love Nikon as much as anyone -- I'm *still* quite fond of my 990 -- but even great companies make the occasional dud.

I honestly think that if the D70 had been, say, a Casio, the reviewers would have savaged it. The feature set is first-rate, no doubt, but the image quality just isn't there. In the end, that's the only thing that matters.

Jeff
Jeff: Do you have a D70?