Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 7, 2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1
Default Nikon D70 purchase


I have just purchased the D70 yesterday, after I have read all the reviews on D70,Canon Pro1,Canon Rebel anda few others by Steve. He is so competent and trustworthy,that you can really relay on his reviews.Thanks so much for all your hard work Steve!Thanks to you I have found what i was looking for.
I must say,it`s a great camera,so fast in its respons. really reat.Until now I had the Olympus E-20.I could make good photos, but it was so slow that I just couldn`t bear it anymore. The AF of the D70 is super,specially in a dark room.
Together with the D70 I bought the AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor ED 24-120mm F3.5-5.6G lense,so body and lens becomes 1.2kg which is quite heavy for a female hand. I actually would like to buy other lenses as well,but am too afraid at the moment that dust might enter the camera,so I prefer to not remove the lens.
tendol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:08 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4
Default

I am about to purchase the D70. I currently use a Canon D60 and am thoroughly satisfied with its operation but just wanted to switch to Nikon. Yoyr hesitation in purchasing other lenses for fear of getting dust on the CCD is and should be a concern, but not one that hiders you from purchasing other lenses. I change between two lenses often and have no problem with dust - all you have to do is be carefull. Good luck
dadsgm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dcrawley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 392
Default

I have had my D70 for a about a month-and-a-half and love it. I have not worried too much about the dust. You just have to be careful, but eventually all DSLR's will encounter a dust problem on the low pass filter. Just don't change lenses at a little league baseball field (especially sitting behing home plate :shock

I change between three lenses right now. I have (all Nikon glass) a 50mm 1.8D, the kit lens 18-70mm 3.4-4.5G DX ED, and a 70-300mm 4-5.6G.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:47 AM   #4
Member
 
tksuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Default

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
I have had my D70 for a about a month-and-a-half and love it. I have not worried too much about the dust. You just have to be careful, but eventually all DSLR's will encounter a dust problem on the low pass filter. Just don't change lenses at a little league baseball field (especially sitting behing home plate :shock

I change between three lenses right now. I have (all Nikon glass) a 50mm 1.8D, the kit lens 18-70mm 3.4-4.5G DX ED, and a 70-300mm 4-5.6G.
Quote:
DCrawley.......... how do you like the 70-300? ?
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
dcrawley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 392
Default

TKSuther, I like it especially for the price. It is a little soft but nothing that I would exptect differently for $150 (mine is not the ED lens) I have gotten some pretty good shots at my 5-year old's t-ball games. I post an uncropped (just resized) image. What is really funny is the looks you get by the time you have the hood attached and the lens out to the 300 mark; it is a long lens (almost 1 foot long in that case). The lens at its most compact is about 5-6 inches.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:38 AM   #6
Member
 
tksuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Default

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
TKSuther, I like it especially for the price. It is a little soft but nothing that I would exptect differently for $150 (mine is not the ED lens) I have gotten some pretty good shots at my 5-year old's t-ball games. I post an uncropped (just resized) image. What is really funny is the looks you get by the time you have the hood attached and the lens out to the 300 mark; it is a long lens (almost 1 foot long in that case). The lens at its most compact is about 5-6 inches.
Quote:
$150?? What brand/model and where did you get it (if I may ask)? Is it auto focus? I think you forgot to post the sample - I didn't see a link. Thanks.
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
dcrawley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 392
Default

What I bought was Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Lens. B&H has the same lens for $129.95, but by time you pay shipping it will be close to the $150 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...359&is=USA).

Actually, I haveimages posted at http://www.pbase.com/digitaldad/r_m_wedding. Several shots during the ceremony were taken with this lens. These images have been edited for colot, but I did not apply and USM.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 2:51 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 113
Default

Hi,

I have this lens too. It is a bit slow on autofocus, a bit soft, a plastic case... but for the price you can not ask for more and the pictures are quite good. The best price you will find on this one seems to be on the following link:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...ate=06_13_2004



Luc
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:29 PM   #9
Member
 
tksuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Default

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
What I bought was Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Lens. B&H has the same lens for $129.95, but by time you pay shipping it will be close to the $150 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...359&is=USA).

Actually, I haveimages posted at http://www.pbase.com/digitaldad/r_m_wedding. Several shots during the ceremony were taken with this lens. These images have been edited for colot, but I did not apply and USM.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I did a bit of research and agree this is a good value though the lens is a little slow and not the sharpest. But as you said, it's to be expected for this price point.I'd like to get the 80-200mm f/2.8D ED but can't quite justify the expense right now - probably wouldn't use it too much until my little guy is older and in to sports, etc. I'm considering a portrait studioset-up instead. It's a crime to pay for professional shots if you're willing to do it yourself - the cost of a few pro sittings will pay for the gear. Thanks again.
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 4:31 PM   #10
Member
 
tksuther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 45
Default

Morris wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I have this lens too. It is a bit slow on autofocus, a bit soft, a plastic case... but for the price you can not ask for more and the pictures are quite good. The best price you will find on this one seems to be on the following link:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/ma...ate=06_13_2004



Luc
Quote:
Thanks Luc - that is a good price though it's imported. The comments you made on the lens seem to be the common opinion. But for the price it seems a good value.
tksuther is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:01 PM.