Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2004, 2:32 PM   #1

Default I bought the 5700, but maybe I should have bought the D70.

First off, I love the 5700. It takes great pictures, I am used to the menus, and have not had a low light problem with focusing yet. Actually with the size and features of the camera, I have no complaint, except for one. Action shots. These prosumer cameras cannot take action shots. I have to admit at times, with quick mode on, single focus on, and continous shots, I can work with it. But I was hoping I could have one digital camera that met all my needs. IT is too bad that at this stage, you still need to spend the money on a digital SLR to do it all.

I think I am correct in assuming that fast action shots and multiple shots in not an issue with the D70? Due to limited funds I went with the 5700, as I only paid $570 with the rebate that I am still waiting for. I was hopeful that it would be the one camera that would meet all my needs, not 85% of the time. Ugh. :x
Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:48 PM   #2

Don't feel alone.. I started with the Olympus E-100 rs No way for inside action shots.. Now I shoot the Nikon D-100 And the D2h and strobes.. Oh yea.. and very fast lenses..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 6:57 AM   #3

Default Re: I bought the 5700, but maybe I should have bought the D7

I just got a D70 last week and it is fast. The downside is that there is a steeper learning curve with this camera than with the typical point & shoot / prosumer digicam. I love the camera but won't be giving up my Olympus C4000Z anytime soon and will use it as a supplement.

BTW, the D70 outfit would have been substantially more than the camera you purchased. I bought the D70, 2 extra batteries, and a 1gb 40x CF card and it came to around $1700 with shipping and taxes.
mtfbwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 8:43 AM   #4

Quote:
the D70 outfit would have been substantially more than the camera you purchased. I bought the D70, 2 extra batteries, and a 1gb 40x CF card and it came to around $1700 with shipping and taxes
OUCH!

Well I actually spent $,990 with the Nikon camera bag, two batteries. Of course the $150 rebate check has not come yet. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for digital SLR's to come down in price to around $700. I say 2 years.
Old May 7, 2004, 1:21 PM   #5

Question for D70 owners, what gripes have you found with the camera?
Old May 8, 2004, 3:28 AM   #6

Too many buttons?

Honestly, I've encountered a very steep learning curve trying to work out how to best use the camera. I guess that's the thing, you're not buying a D70 or any other dSLR because you want to take happy-snaps at the family reunion. I think the 'getting used to each other' portion of the relationship will take a fair while..

One thing I wish I could change, I wish I could switch off the front flashing light when taking a long-time exposure shot. Not something that I know can be done with any other camera, but when I'm not using it to shoot self-portaits and I just want the camera to be rock steady, I dont need the light flashing out... looks kind of odd when taking night-time shots across a landscape..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 3:35 AM   #7

Blueberry wrote:
Quote:
My list is closely related to how I personally like to shoot, YMMV.

1) Default sharpening is too strong.

2) Middle grey underexposed, needs acustom tone curve or roughly +0.5-0.7EV boost to compensate.

3) Changing Auto focus modes, single to continuous tracking, requires pressing many buttons in the menu or setting the Digital Vari-Program to Sports mode. Most other features are changed simply by a button press and turning of the command dial.

4) ISO sensitivity not displayed in viewfinder. Need to look at top LCD panel for it.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 4:16 PM   #8

Blueberry wrote:
Quote:

Have moved up to the D70 from point and shoot Konica 310, and my Dads Olympus E100 rs.

Extremely happy with the D70, however my two (minor) gripes are;

1. lowest ISO 200, would have like 100 or 50 for longer exposures in brighter conditions.

2. Compared to my dads olympus E100 rs (which does 15 fps) the D70 seems slow @ 3fps. :O(particularly for sports)

However I understand the D70 is the fastest of the budget D SLRS's, so without spending £2,000 plus (I'm in the UK :-)) on a D2h or a canon 1d or a 1dmk2, you can't get anything as fast as the E100. So its not really a fault i guess!

In other 'speed terms' start up and shoot time is instantaneous, which makes using my konica when i go out now and again painfully slow! :?
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 6:57 PM   #9

Ooh - I remembered one!

When you format your memory card inside your camera, it resets the numbers for the pictures. so take 5 shots.. DSC_0001, DSC_002, DSC_0003, DSC_0004, DSC_0005. Then take the shots off the card, format the card in the camera and the next shot taken is DSC_0001.

Which I guess is good if you're taking the pictures off the camera once every shoot, or at least once every time you shoot a different subject. but it makes keeping them all in one place a pain.

PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote