Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Portable Storage Device for D70 ?

I just purchased the Nikon D70 and was considering purchasing the Nikon Coolwalker to offload my pics. I e-mailed Nikon Canada and they told me that it will be available around July/2004 at a suggested retail price of $850.00 (Canadian). Wow :shock: What else would you suggest for a Portable Storage Device with built-in hard drive (minimum 20GB) :?:
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 10:17 PM   #2

One option is an Apple iPod with the Belkin media card reader. Both would be about $475 USD for a 20 gig iPod and the reader.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:35 AM   #3

I also had the situation not wanting to buy too many CFs. So I bought a Xs Drive Pro with 20 GB 5400 HDD.

C:\Surya\Download\Digital Camera\Xs ...nnotations.htm

This gadget is very flexible as it allows you to choose the HDD size that suit you !
wahlao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:31 AM   #4

Pick one of these to serve your needs:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/s.n...category.30/.f

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:20 AM   #5

That webpage is down at the moment...

Quote:
System Maintenance Period

Our Web site is temporarily unavailable while we perform routine system maintenance. We are working on the site to improve its appearance and functionality.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please visit us again later.

Our Web site is temporarily unavailable while we perform routine system maintenance. We are working on the site to improve its appearance and functionality. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please visit us again later.

PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:15 PM   #6

I'll second the reply to use an iPod. I've been downloading to a 40GB iPod for 4 months using my D2H and love the simplicity and compactness of the system. I also have the benefit of having all my music with me at the same time.
Kai Schumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:32 PM   #7

heck for 450.00 for a reader or 475 for an Ipod, you might as well get a cheap laptop and just download all your photos on there while you are out N about.

Can get a cheap laptop for 600.00
Kingsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnut
heck for 450.00 for a reader or 475 for an Ipod, you might as well get a cheap laptop and just download all your photos on there while you are out N about.

Can get a cheap laptop for 600.00
Are you intend to carry the laptop with you anytime when you come out to shoot picture on any trip?. If that the case, well then...no problem.

The portable HDD comes in handy, and it fits in your pocket like the palm pilot, when you fill up that CF card, all you need to do is to insert it to the CF slot of the portable device, press the button and all of you images on the CF card will be transfer to the portable HDD. It was designed so you don't have to carry extra weight on your long trip to some remote areas. Some of these portable HDD also have some useful features tthat allows you to view the images, edit or delete the image on site also, plays MP3 music, even DVD quality movie which recoredeas MP4, and the list goes on...

When you get back home, connect it to your PC or laptop with USB 2.0 connection, you've got yourself an external HD.

BTY, I see no problem with the link I provided above, I never leave home without the Smartdisk Flashtrax, it's a great tool.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:52 AM   #9

I thought about a portable HDD type device but the idea of ending a trip with several hundred or thousand images all on a single hard disk with no other backup was too awful to imagine. Sooner or later, it will die, undoubtedly at the worst possible moment. Instead, I have an Apacer Disk Steno 200, which is a little bit larger, still way smaller and lighter than a laptop, and saves direct to CD; will split big cards over multiple CDs. I can save 2 copies of everything onto a semi-permanent medium while travelling.

The alternative approach would be to get two external HDD devices, but that's getting expensive...
Ross Alford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 9:34 PM   #10

Hi Ross,

How can we use an external HD to transfer the photos?

I have a 20 Gb USB 2.0 HD and would like to use it.

Thanks,
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote