Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2004, 8:31 AM   #1

Default Need Help choosing best DSLR for portraits

I have a Minolta D7i, and have found that it is too slow for getting the shots I need. I have also found that it is too taxing for me to convert the color space from the D7i.

I mostly take pics of my kids and family, animals and architecture. I can usually "see" that perfect shot coming, but by the time I get the camera ready, it's come & gone.

I am looking pretty seriously at Digital SLRs, such as Nikon D1x, D 70, D2h. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erica
Rikki73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2

I have the D-100 and the D-2H , For static shots I use the D-100, but if you need speed.. The D-2H is very fast.. but remember your lenses have alot to do with the quality of you pics..

I have not handled the D-70 But the feature that intrests me on the Model is its 1/500 flash sync-speed I like that versus the D-100 's 1/180 and the D2H's 1/250..Important for low light action captures and fill flash..

I don't like the fact that the D-70 has no external battery grip, I like a little more to hold onto on my cameras..

I Guess for what you described you would use it for I would go for the Nikon D-100 they are not that much higher in price than the D-70 and alot less than the D2H.. Mine has over 16,000 exposures on it and no problems what so ever.. Good luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

Default Lenses?

Quote:
"The D-2H is very fast.. but remember your lenses have alot to do with the quality of you pics.. "
Cowboy43-- Thanks for the reply. I'll have a closer look at the D-100. About the lenses, do you mean buying Nikon lenses as opposed to generic lenses?
Rikki73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:32 AM   #4

Lenses are a bigger investment than ANY camera body you buy. Whether it be Nikkor glass or third party, buy the best you can afford within your budget, because if you buy a lens just for its cheap price and focal length coverage, you are really getting what you pay for. Better lenses will give you better contrast (colors will not be dulled or grayed out), usually faster and quieter focus (Nikon AF-S, Sigma's HSM, etc), large constant apertures throughout the focal range (if it's a zoom lens), full time manual focus override, etc. I'm sure it's been said before but I'll say it again. Bodies may come and go but lenses are a long term investment.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote