Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:00 PM   #1

Default Nikon D70 pictures needing brightening in pshop.

Hi folks,

I bought my Nikon D70 last weekend and overall i'm pretty impressed.
The only thing that bothers me is that I have to use the Levels function in Photoshop to brighten every picture. Both the histogram on the d70 and the histogram in Photoshop CS show that there is an inbalance on the right side of the histogram that begins to climb somewhere in the middle. With a full card it can be quite labour intensive to correct the problem.

Is this a D70 defect or is it a setting that I can change?

Can some one help me?

btw
I used a Ixus II at the same moment and circumstances and the histogram is well balanced.
Mauricelucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 3:20 PM   #2

Sounds like chronic underexposure. Try adjusting the exposure compensation dial on your camera toward the + side and see if that helps.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:45 PM   #3

From what I have read, making a change of +.3 or +.7 will make a huge difference.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 4:47 PM   #4

If it is similar to the D100, exposure compensation is not the answer. I tried using +0.3 for awhile but found that I was blowing out highlights quite frequently. I am currently not using any compensation. Instead, I am bracketing shots that I think will be a problem. I am using a bracket increment of 0.3 whin may not be enough. 0.5 might be better.

I don't know if the D70 has the ability to load custom curves from Nikon Capture. If it does, you might try creating a curve that fits your needs and upload it to the camera.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:15 PM   #5

Thanks for your help people,

I took some pictures with +.2 and +.3 compensation. they look much better right now!! But the thing I wonder is: do all D70's
have this exposure problem? Is this what LTberry meant with chronic underexposure?

I will try to upload the custom curve with the Trial version of Nikon capture. To bad Nikon capture is sold separately, you might expect that a 1800 dollar camera (price in Holland with 18 - 70 lens) would have a full software package included.

Maybe I'll post some pictures later on this week.

Thanks again,

Maurice
Mauricelucien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricelucien
Thanks for your help people,

I took some pictures with +.2 and +.3 compensation. they look much better right now!! But the thing I wonder is: do all D70's
have this exposure problem? Is this what LTberry meant with chronic underexposure?

I will try to upload the custom curve with the Trial version of Nikon capture. To bad Nikon capture is sold separately, you might expect that a 1800 dollar camera (price in Holland with 18 - 70 lens) would have a full software package included.

Maybe I'll post some pictures later on this week.

Thanks again,

Maurice
Yes, I believe all D70's tend to underexpose. Many people have theorized that Nikon does this to err on the safe side of not blowing highlights. I've seen people suggest .3 to .7 exp compensation. This is what I do sometimes, but I've generally been doing post processing. I've also seen some people suggest custom curves. You might want to do a google seach on custom curves for the d70 as I've seen people giving them for free, but I do not know the web addresses.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:10 AM   #7

I recently came across a thread on "Phil's forums" that linked to a guy meticulously testing a whole range (I think there were 10) custom curves, all available for download on the net. It has eluded a search of my browser history, so sorry I can't link you to it.

Have a browse of a thread I started here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=25201

It addresses this "underexposure" issue. One possible method is to increase exposure as others have suggested, but you could also try reducing tone compensation (contrast) to -2 (in custom menu) for brightly lit conditions, as this seems to increase contrast. In Imaging Resources' D70 review, they posted sample images that shows the range of difference for tone compensation settings. The reviewer seemed to suggest that the D70 handles these setting changes different to most other cameras - holding the highlight while altering the midtones and shadows, instead of holding midtones and altering highlights and shadows which is the more traditional way of changing contrast.

Have a read here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D70/D70PICS.HTM
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote