Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:28 AM   #1

Default D100 monitor help...can I view while shooting pics

I need to see what I am shooting on the D100 monitor. I can seem to get the monitor to come on. What am I doing wrong???
I'm a Crime Scene Tech in Maryland.

I also have the 5700 and the monitor works fine.. We use the cameras on photo stands or tripods to take pics of fingerprints and use a large monitor to see the image prior to taking it. We have the 5700 plugged in via the video output and it works fine. I just can't get the D100 to work. I know that it must be something simple...but this guy can't find the answer in the manuals.

Thanks...Rick

[email protected]
sst149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:40 AM   #2

The 5700 and the D100 are two different animals. It is like trying to get a lion to fly.

The D100 (or any other D-SLR) is not capable of showing live views of what you going to shoot like the 5700. The best way to describe it is the 5700 uses the sensor to not only take the image but to also make these views on it's LCD or to a TV much in a similar way that a camcorder does.

The D100 on the other hand is not capable of this. The sensor on any D-SLR is blocked by the mirror that reflects the images through the lens up to the viewfinder. The only time the sensor is working is when the mirror moves up and out of the way and it is "turned on" at the time of pressing the shutter.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2004, 10:12 AM   #3

dcrawley hit the nail on the head. I have a D100 that I use at fire scenes sometimes. It took awhile to get used to NOT looking at the LCD. If you've been using the 8008 for 12 years, not looking thru the LCD shouldn't be a problem. Just something that'll take a little getting used to.

HTH

Chris
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 12:45 PM   #4

Hi,

I also want to view the image in real time on my coolpix 4500. What soft ware did you use to hook up to your computer?

I have a Mac G5-2.0 and a cool pix 4500. I want to see the product shot in real time before I take the picture. Then I can adjust the position and light before I shoot.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

E. Luckey Dodge
Torrance, CA
Luckey Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 2:56 PM   #5
Administrator

You don't need ANY software -- you simply plug the Video Out cable into any TV with a Video In jack. When you're shooting with any of the Coolpix cameras they output live video, either to the LCD or an external TV monitor.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 3:56 PM   #6

Steve,

Thanks, the USB input of my G5 will not do this.....I can only download directly the shots that already have been taken from the Digital I/O port of the 4500 to the USB in of the G5......About the same deal as as stanbard card reader.

So I have to get a Video card from"somewhere" that supports Video in. Then I should be able to cable from the A/V out on the 4500 to the input of the Video card.

Do I have this thinking correct?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Luckey

Old May 29, 2004, 6:32 PM   #7

Steve,

The 4500 does output to the standard TV. That is OK. I tried it last night at home.

What I need is to find a Video Card for the Mac G5 that accepts Video In from my 4500.

Do you know of a video card that does this for my Mac?

Thanks,

Luckey