Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1

Default Battery Charging...

These are going to be the longest two hours of my life...
D70... wOOt!!
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:23 PM   #2

did you just get it?
if so, batteries should be pre-charged, mine were, enjoyed immediately after opening box!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2004, 2:01 AM   #3

Hmm.. odd.. The battery was not pre-charged and I was told that I would need to charge it. When I put it into the charger, the charger was more than happy to charge it for about 1hr 45minutes..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 11:15 PM   #4

Yes, it should be recharged before first use. Li-ion batteries are shipped neither fully charged nor fully discharged, and is recommended to charge before use.

Also, do not recharge the battery just to "top it up" if it still has close to a full charge, as I believe the charger is set on a timer and is not a "smart charger" hence the manual's suggestion not to attempt to charge a fully charged battery (the light will blink indicating charge, and will do so for the full2hrs or so- and Li-Ions AFAIK do not handle overcharge as well as say NiMH cells.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2004, 4:53 PM   #5

On the issue of recharging, I must say I am amazed at the battery life from the D70 battery! :-)Maybe its because i'm used to point and shoot consumer cams that have to power an LCD, but seriously, it just goes and goes and goes!
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2004, 2:03 AM   #6

Yeah, the D70 has outstanding battery life - I feel having bought an extra EN-EL3 battery to be an unnecessary extra cost. I could have simply bought some CR2s and load in its holder for emergency use.

Old May 9, 2004, 9:36 AM   #7
DBB

Onyx wrote:
Quote:

Also, do not recharge the battery just to "top it up" if it still has close to a full charge, as I believe the charger is set on a timer and is not a "smart charger" hence the manual's suggestion not to attempt to charge a fully charged battery (the light will blink indicating charge, and will do so for the full 2hrs or so - and Li-Ions AFAIK do not handle overcharge as well as say NiMH cells.
One can only hope that you are wrong about the charger. If you are correct then we can look forward to random explosions and fires as users occasionally get confused. I suspect you are mistaken.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 10:01 AM   #8

Try it and see - I did so on a cell fully charged 12 hours earlier and had not been used. Found the blinking light indicating charging upto 70 minutes in... at that point I pulled the plug on the "experiment" asthe battery got hot (hotter than usual). If it were a 'smart charger' it would have terminated the charge on a fully charged cell much earlier on in the charge cycle.

I hope I'm wrong with my assumption about the charger, but either way it's never good to mistreat Li-Ion cells.
Old May 10, 2004, 10:33 AM   #9

Hi,

I bougth 2 insten batteries for around $15 usd (shipping + taxes included)on ebay. Theylast as longas the Nikon OEM and at this price there is really no reason to use CR-2's.

Even if those batteries end up having a shorter life, they are worth every penny.
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 1:57 AM   #10

Two hours per battery, which I thought was particularly fast. I picked up my shiny new D70 thinking I was in for 8 hours of painful waiting. Then I hook it up, start reading and realised I was off and running in two hours - that's a bit bonus for impatient people like me.

Both my new batteries registered as at least half charged, and still took the full two hours to charge (give or take 10 minutes).

Now that they're charged I can't imagine why I'll need two. The first battery is still registering full charge, and I've been using it heaps.
Lurgen is offline   Reply With Quote