Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2004, 9:10 AM   #1

I decided to purchase the D100 over the D70, after look at all the facts and go throuhg the evaluation process , I still think the D100 is a better value than the D70, despite the facts thatI do recognize the D70 has several new features with superior technologies, especially the better memory buffer for faster shooting rate. I don't have any camera in my collection that I recall which made in Thailand, most of them are made in Japan, some in Germany, the D100 has a better body construction than the D70, and much better viewfinder. In AF operation, D70 match the speed of the D100, if you use fast AF-S lens, it works even faster...

Now I have the opportunity to get all of my Nikon lense out of the closet and start shooting beginning today. I will post most of my film cameras on photo.net this week (F-100, Fm2 SP, EOS3) and just keep the only one (F5) for my collection.

Life is good

Cheers

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2004, 10:15 AM   #2

Congratz on the new camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I personaly have the D70 and am very happy with it so far!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 11:01 AM   #3

being fairly new to the DSLR scene, (never used a film SLR either:roll: ) i was just wondering;

In what way is the viewfinder better on the D100 ? Is it slightly bigger or clearer or something?

Have fun with the new kit
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 12:24 PM   #4

jimbojetset wrote:
Quote:
being fairly new to the DSLR scene, (never used a film SLR either:roll: ) i was just wondering;

In what way is the viewfinder better on the D100 ? Is it slightly bigger or clearer or something?

Have fun with the new kit
The magnification in the D100 viewfinder is .83x and the D70 is .75x, another word, if you look in to the D70 viewfinder, it has kinda tunnel effects, the EF on the new Olympus E-1 even worst. In SLR, VF is one most important factor to consider when you need to compare one to another.

To contribute to the brighter and clearer VF, use fast lenses (lenses that have maximum aperture +> f/2.8.

Cheers
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 1:34 AM   #5

The D100's viewfinder is bigger and with a higher eye point - meaning one could see the whole screen holding the camera body further away from the eye than with the D70. This is good for spectacle wearers.

One thing I like with the D100 - no idiot modes (Digital Vari-programs!)

Tuanokc - I'm looking forward to pics!
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 6:47 AM   #6

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
The D100's viewfinder is bigger and with a higher eye point - meaning one could see the whole screen holding the camera body further away from the eye than with the D70. This is good for spectacle wearers.

One thing I like with the D100 - no idiot modes (Digital Vari-programs!)

Tuanokc - I'm looking forward to pics!

Haha, yeah as a bit of a newbie the vari-programsseem like abit of a mixed blessing! If you need a picture quick and and are not sure of the settings you need off the top of your head then theyre great.....

however, the reason I went for an SLR with manual was to help me learn the various techniques, and its tempting sometimes just to be lazy and use them when I should really be working manually and learning as i go :roll:

still... that's my fault not the cameras :-)
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote