Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 12, 2004, 11:07 PM   #1

Hi:

I'm currently a canon eos digital rebel owner and although i like it I want to upgrade in the dslr market. I have read about the nikon d70 and it seems to be a great choice but once trying the nikon 5000 and hating it i'm leary of any nikon. I also have given the canon eos d10 some thought having three lenses already. I guess the answer i need from people out there is #1 will any of these two be a great upgrade? I shoot alot of sports shots and the nikon has been said to be fast and fast is good for sports shots. Could use the help. I was intrigued with ritz camera online site, they have the nikond70 w/two lenses for like $1299, thats better than the canon d10 thats $1399 just for the body, thats where the big grey area is for me..........is the canon d10 a better camera meaning a bigger step up from the rebel or is it basically a even keil with the nikon d70??? Thanks jcarboski
jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2004, 11:20 PM   #2

The 10D is not too much differect that your Digital Rebel. In the Canon SLR forum and in reviews of the Digital Rebel, it is essentially called a consumerised verison of the 10D. The 10D has the ability to set the metering mode, flash exposure compensation, and other custom options that cannot be set at all or in certain modes on the Digital Rebel.

That said, the D70 has an body-mounted AF assist lamp where both the DR and 10D use the flash. The Nikon also allows you to set a lot of the same functions as the 10D. The Nikon also has the capability to set the flash into a commader mode to control an external SB-800 or SB-600 flash units wirelessly without an IR unit like the Canon's. This feature is just WAY TOO COOL. I really want a second SB-800, but at $350, I'll have to wait a while.

Depending on how much of an investment in your Canon-mount lenses you have, the Nikon is a great bet. I really like mine now that I am getting the hang of it. But if you have even a small investment in Canon-mount lenses, the 10D is a worthy set up from the DR. But be on the lookout--the 10D has been out just over a year now, so it may be replaced soon. You might want to see if the 10D replacement is a better camera than the current 10D.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 8:28 AM   #3

Wait for now...

I you had nothing, then the D70 is currently the best choice between those 3 cameras.

Canon will certainly have to update it's model line to keep the #1 position in the market.

The digital rebel is still an excellent camera. Invest in good canon glassware and wait for a 10D replacement. Imagine what a cheaper version of the 1D MkII would be...
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 9:41 PM   #4
MK

Depends on when you jump in. Don't wait forever, as Nikon and Canon will always be leap frogging over each other. Just think about how much fun you will miss and all the potential grea photographers if you keep waiting.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:35 PM   #5

MK wrote:
Quote:
Depends on when you jump in. Don't wait forever, as Nikon and Canon will always be leap frogging over each other. Just think about how much fun you will miss and all the potential grea photographers if you keep waiting.

That is so true .... there's always going to be a better camera. That's the nature of technology. I got the best I could justify, the D70, and I don't regrett it for a second. Photography is fun and digital just makes it even more fun. I love being able to take as many shots as I want without having to buy film ..... and the instant feedback is so great!
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 1:24 AM   #6

jcarboski - what makes you believe you require a more capable camera?

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 4:08 PM   #7

Onyx:

I have always had digitals and havinga son in sports i've been reraching out for the fast action shots. I own the olympus 100rs and thats the best camera to date i think for fps (15fps) but your limited because of the 1.2 megapixels for anything other than a 4x6 print out. The Nikon d70 has a fast action setting that should help me some. My wife wants to get into the camera thing as well so i will keep the canon digital rebel for her and if I purchase the d70 i can learn with that and grow with it as well. Thanks for your comments Onyx I love the people here they are very helpful. Whats your opinon on the Canon 10d in line with the nikon? My choice is close but the nikon leads alittle bit right now. Jcarboski
jcarboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 3:10 AM   #8

Nikon gets the tick from me, now that you've clarified what you're after - fast action.

The 10D is 18 month old technology, and this modern day (especially with Canon's product cycle), that's one generation behind (but no word yet on 10D replacement?). I've heard of the review mode being slow, it does have a superior viewfinder IMO. D70 has faster max flash sync, a more advance flash system overall, better ergonomics (IMHO), and a better brandname (IMVHO). :-)
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 6:36 AM   #9
NHL

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
The Nikon also has the capability to set the flash into a commader mode to control an external SB-800 or SB-600 flash units wirelessly without an IR unit like the Canon's. This feature is just WAY TOO COOL. I really want a second SB-800, but at $350, I'll have to wait a while.
This is not a true statement... http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_ssfil.html

The Canon 550EX flash can also be set as Master to control multiple slaves wirelessly (ie one does not need an IR controller):
1. The IR controller allows more flexibility in case you don't want the flash to front lit the subject directly from the camera!
2. The IR controller is also a much more powerful AF assist illuminator than any built-in camera could.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/st-e2.shtml

Nikon is only the last manufacturer to jump on the bandwagon for theses type of Master/slaves wireless flash control on their digitals: Minolta was 1st dozen of years ago then followed by Canon. BTW with Minolta cameras even the tiny camera's built-in flash can serve as commander... so you don't need two buy at least two external flash to enjoy this mode.

With all that said, you need multiple slaves to use this system effectively. Right now the powerful $180 Sigma EF500 DG Super is only compatible with Minolta and Canon wireless TTL systems but not yet with Nikon. So the cost of entry is slightly more with Nikon like you said for a 2nd strobe unit or multiple thereof... as required by your setup.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/news/500dg_super.htm

There's nothing wrong with Nikon (or Canon) cameras. You buy into a system of lens and if jcarboski already has lenses it would just be a double whammy to switch, especially when there's more choice of IS and USM lenses on the Canon camp.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 9:46 AM   #10

I't's true, Canon wireless TTL is superior and Nikon is about one step behind in this area, the Canon IR controller give you more flexiblity so you don't have to use the master flash on camera, avoiding direct lighting to the subject, it also allows you to control several group of flashes with multiple lighting ratio settings, just my additional comments on what NHL already said.:idea:

Being said that, Nikon technology is also at least one step behind Canon in few areas: for ex: USM vs AF-S, IS vs VR etc...(no need to debate, these are facts if you check the timeline) They both continue to compete to each other and try to be the leaders in the digital and film photography. I love the color metering of the F5 (now being incoperated in to the lower cost D70 partially) and the multicam 1200 AF, now with the new multicam 2000 on the D2h, seems to be superior...and Canon has the answer on their new Canon 1D Mark II with superior power and speed... and the war goes on...It's great, since we, the consumers will get all of the benefits, one thing for sure, with lower costs. I read many posts saying the new D70 is better than the Canon 10D, the fact is: I did not see the D70 beat the 10D on anything yet, things I know for sure, the 10D has a better body construction, an optional for the battery grip, at least ,has a better viewfinder than the D70, and it made in Japan (instead of Thailand, in case of the D70). They both are great cameras at low cost, to me, if you already has some investment on the lenses collection, if you own the Canon lenses, go with Canon, otherwise, Nikon is your best choice if you aleary owned the Nikon lenses. I did buy the D100 instead of the D70 since I had a few AF-S high speed lenses (sit and collect dust in my closet, and now being used)
why??? I still think the D100 is a better value camera than the D70, despite the facts that D70 had so many better improved features and technology built-in, I like Nikon camera that made in Japan same as the thought that I don't believe in Leica products will be produced in any other places in the world but Germany ( just my personal taste).

NHL, I believe the Sigma EF500 DG Super is already upgraded to be comparable with most major DSLR include the Nikons, the cost now is $219 in lieu of $179, you can read the new specs from BHphoto.com.:-)

tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote