Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 13, 2004, 5:51 PM   #1

hello again,

started to play with my new toy, took this photo today. all settings on automatic. iso 200. photo looks very soft and somewhat unsharp to me. what am i missing? thanks

http://www.coedfun.org/alex_1.htm

wolf
coedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 6:13 PM   #2

Sharpness is something you can adjust in camera or in software, your real problem here is that your picture is blurry....

camera shake?

shutter speed?

light??

All things that must be considered!

Read the manual, learn your camera,ask any questions you want in here, dont be shy!
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 6:31 PM   #3

thank you for theprompt reply.

camera shake: i was standing still, should not have too much of a the problem

shutter speed: automatic

light: outdoors, bright and sunny

i certainly am plannig on studying the manual, just received my english version a few minutes ago, as the original shipped with 2 spanish only versions. took the photo beforehand.

also received my 1 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED-IF

ihad no idea it would be THAT big, wow. i am heading to europe next week, just for a few days, trying to learn the main stuff ASAP before my flight
Old May 13, 2004, 7:55 PM   #4

You were standing still and you don't think you shook the camera any right? How about your son? Was he moving around, running, jumping, etc? According to your image file, the shutter speed was 1/125 of a sec. That speed does good for objects or people as long as they're not moving about a good bit. For intance, just this past weekend I took some shots ofmy son. By coincidence they are the same speed. He's in perfect focus, but things like his legs or arms were blurred if he was active. I'm no expert, but that what looks like is going on here. Good luck getting some good pictures. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I love my D70. I just printed some today and I was really impressed with the color, sharpness, and details.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 1:02 PM   #5

thanks for the encouraging words. i am not totallt new to photography, just this D70. if i read you correctly, you are suggesting to change the speed then. i will attempt that then. for starters, i was just taking every shot in auto mode, but i guess it is more limited (picky) than i was hoping for. either way, i will keep learning i guess

regards,

wolf
Old May 14, 2004, 4:46 PM   #6

When I shoot, I mostly leave my camera dial on P. In this mode, I can choose which focus point the camera uses (uses the center) and I can rotate my command dial to bump my speed or aperture up or down while keeping the exposure the same. I can also do expsosure compensation (don't think you can do that in auto) if I choose. To me P is a great mode because the camera is still auto, but it gives you a bit more flexibility.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 7:20 PM   #7

If you're getting ready to travel, I'd quickly run some tests to find out what might have gone wrong. I don't want to be an alarmest, but it appears to me that the hairs towards the back might be in better focus than the front.

Is it possible you have the back focus problem? Is it possible you were using a bit longer lens and the child was closer than it's closest focusing point?

Just raising some questions to consider.

Deane
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote