Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 14, 2004, 11:56 AM   #1

hi again,

shot all kind of photos yesterday. some outdoor, some indoor, but i am not really thrilled with the results. some turned out ok, most i could have done better with my "now old" Panasonic FZ1.

all settings are automatic.what i was particularly interested in, were good indoor (in the restaurant i work in)shots. i was less then impressed with the reach of the flash.

if you have some time please have a look and give me some feedback. i have been shooting digital for quite a few years, but never with a fancy camera like the D70. what am i missing? is it all me or could it have something to do with the camera.

http://www.coedfun.org/photogallery/...23395/real.htm

thank you for any comments in advance,

wolf
coedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2004, 12:10 PM   #2

I'm not the best one to be giving advice, but I'm going to do it anyway. I looked at your pics and for the most part I didn't think they looked too bad. I especially liked the picture of your dog. Some of the resteraunt shots looked fine. Some looked under - exposed and the flash was too harsh in many of them. Anyway, personally what I would do, what I did do actually, is buy a flash to attach to your hot shoe. I think you'll like the results much better. I bought an SB-800 and I am able to bounce the flash off ceilings, put on a dufusion dome, etc. I find with maybe a little exposure compenstation I am able to light rooms better and the light is much softer with no harsh shadows. I've read comments from others that the on board flash is more of a nice touch and a great fill flash. That's pretty much how I feel about the on board flash as well. Good luck
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 12:15 PM   #3

hmm, interesting

a lot of the reviews stated that the D70 flash was quite sufficient in most situations. darn them all :P. well, i suppose it is time to spend more money then :shock:. my wife might kill me soon...
coedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2004, 3:43 PM   #4

Well, I suppose it you adjust your flash compensation or exposure compensation, you might be able to get away without an external flash. I think you'd be much happier with one though. Pop on an external, bounce the flash and or use the difusion dome and it is amazing how much better the pictures are. They light is much less harsh and you can significantly reduce or eliminate shadows.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 7:25 PM   #5

I think they are great shots that give you since of being there. When you use a flash bounced off the ceiling at a restaurant or club you get a more detailed picture, but you loose the mood.

In most of the darker pictures the subject was well lit. The ones that weren't ,were most likely caused by the dynamic focus and in the auto mode metered for that. I like to use the spot focus on the main subject then with the button pushed half way down compose the picture, thensqueezeoff the shot. Quick and easy, once you've mastered that . . . well there are volumes and great help here, too
Basepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 9:25 PM   #6

Your problem is that you are using auto mode. You should at least try P mode and set the camera to focus at the center, not the closest of the five focus points. In your picture number 26, the flash was a bit low because the camera probably focused on a point on the table closer to the camera. In number 28 you were probably hanging from the ceiling or something and the higher angle pushed the focal point back. The subjects at the back end are a bit brighter. Like I mentioned in an earlier reply to you, you need to pay attention to the settings that the camera chooses in different environments (in Auto mode)then try making these adjustments manually yourself. Onyx has a great post on some recommended settings for different situations. I hope that she doesn't upgrade camerasand leave our forum. Good luck Coedfun and just take a lot of pictures. BTW the camera flash should get you 25 - 30 feet but you'll need the external to take restaurant shots unless you can learn the manual mode.

Steve:?
colasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 8:44 AM   #7

colasteve wrote:
Quote:
Onyx has a great post on some recommended settings for different situations. I hope that she doesn't upgrade camerasand leave our forum.
Steve:?
Thanks Steve, other D70 should feel free to post what works for them in that thread. I wanna learn to make better pictures too!BTW, I'm a he - that's my partner in my avatar, but nevermind. I amtoo cash strapped to be upgrading my D70 anytime this decade, so no worries there.

To coedfun - persistwith your photography, experience is the greatest teacher. Using flash is probably the most complicated process in photography, and you'll be surprised if/when you buy an external flash that its instruction manual outsizes the camera's manual!
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote