Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 15, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1

Just got done shooting same subject with D70 andPanasonic FZ1.

while the D70 is far superior than the FZ1, the photos seem to suggest otherwise.

investment D70 $5000

investment FZ1 $500

did i make a mistake?

http://www.coedfun.org/D70/photo_gallery_5_15_04.htm

i am getting a bit frustrated. any help is appreciated

wolf
coedfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2004, 10:48 AM   #2

I assume the top 3 are Nikon and the bottom 3 are Panasonic. Perhaps my monitor calibration is off, but I did not see anything inherently horribly wrong with theD70's. What kind of lens is on the D70? What do you like more about the Panasonic then the D70? Which do you feel is a more accurate rendition of the subject and why?Both camera's areon full automatic? Both were taken at the best jpg resolution?

Looking at the pictures, the focus on the D70 is not perfect in every shot, but nor is it perfect in every Panasonic shot. No insults intended as my focus isn't always perfect either, but this could be a user error that will improve with skill and familiarity with the camera.

The D70 pictures are darker then the Pansonic. Which color is correct? It is actually aknown issues that the D70 exposure meter tends to underexpose. Many people theorize that Nikon did this to prevent blown highlights. The good thing is that the underexposure is consistent so you can easily apply exposure compensation onthe camera (probably no more than .3 to .5) to every shot or even load a custom curve into your camera to address this. Personally, I find my exposure is usually acceptable and for those that look a bit underexposed, I just quickly fix in photoshop or Nikon Capture.

In the Panasonic picutures, it appear you are closer to the bug in every shot. Are you upset because you could not get as close with the Nikon? I don't know a thing about the Panasonic, but most digicams allow for pretty good close up shots out of the box. You can get close ups with DSLR's are well, but you have to use a lens that is designed for this purpose to get the ultra close results. The closest you can get with the kit lens is about a foot I belive. I used to have a CP4300 and it would allow me to get as close as 1.6 inches. You can do this with the D70 as well, but as said, you need lens designed for the purpose.

Anyway, please reply back and elaborate what you do and don't like and I'll try to helpl. I love my D70, but it is not for everyone. Have you seen Steve's sample pictures? He has some pretty good sample pictures that reflect what type of pictures it can produce.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3

I'll be bunt and to the point. If you can spentd $5K on a camera system and don't bother to learn about photography and your equipment... :roll: Or reading the specs and knowing the purpose of a lens before buying...
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 12:44 PM   #4

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. I guess that my main frustration stems from the lack of quality photos (or what I perceive to be lack of quality) thatI get with the automatic settings on the D70. I was simply hoping forsomewhat quicker satisfaction without spending days and weeks reading up on things.

I am certainly willing and eager to becomemore proficientbystudying the manual, other websites, as well as the various threads in this and other D70 related forums which are full ofinformation. I just did not anticipate a very steep learning curve.I am however willing to give it more time.

My main fear is that there could be something wrong with the camera as quite a few of the D70 users seemed to have experienced some issues, that often went away after their initial camera body was replaced. The dreadful "backfocus" word comes to mind. WhileI have been trying to understand some of the test thathave been conducted by a lot of these experts, quite often this is totally above my head.I wish there would be a simple way to say: oh, because of this photo, we can tell the camera has a problem. Not that i wish to have aproblem camera, but I would like to be sure that the lack of quality has everything to do with my lack of experience and not the material i am using.

Anyhow, I will probably leave the D70 when going to Europe next week since i don't think that I will find the time to study enough during the next few days. I'll take my FZ1 Panasonic with it's lovely 12x zoom and movie making abilities. It is not the best quality in the world, but no surprises or disappointments either.

Regards,

wolf
Old May 15, 2004, 12:58 PM   #5

Dear marokero,

I appreciate your candor. Actually, I have spent months and countless hours in researching the various parts of my new outfit and am confident that I didpurchase a great package. Nonetheless, you are very right about my responsibility to study the manuals in great detail.

Consequently, I shall refrain from anymore public postings until I had the chance to thoroughly review the various supporting materials asI do not wish to upset or bore any of the other members in this forum.

As i pointed out in my reply to Michael,I just hope that i did not get a "lemon," and if i did, I would like to find out about it fast so i can exchange the camera for a better working model.

Cheers,

wolf
Old May 15, 2004, 2:15 PM   #6

coedfun wrote:
Quote:
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. I guess that my main frustration stems from the lack of quality photos (or what I perceive to be lack of quality) thatI get with the automatic settings on the D70. I was simply hoping forsomewhat quicker satisfaction without spending days and weeks reading up on things.

I am certainly willing and eager to becomemore proficientbystudying the manual, other websites, as well as the various threads in this and other D70 related forums which are full ofinformation. I just did not anticipate a very steep learning curve.I am however willing to give it more time.

My main fear is that there could be something wrong with the camera as quite a few of the D70 users seemed to have experienced some issues, that often went away after their initial camera body was replaced. The dreadful "backfocus" word comes to mind. WhileI have been trying to understand some of the test thathave been conducted by a lot of these experts, quite often this is totally above my head.I wish there would be a simple way to say: oh, because of this photo, we can tell the camera has a problem. Not that i wish to have aproblem camera, but I would like to be sure that the lack of quality has everything to do with my lack of experience and not the material i am using.

Anyhow, I will probably leave the D70 when going to Europe next week since i don't think that I will find the time to study enough during the next few days. I'll take my FZ1 Panasonic with it's lovely 12x zoom and movie making abilities. It is not the best quality in the world, but no surprises or disappointments either.

Regards,

wolf

I can fully appreciate and understand your concerns about the quality of your camera build based on the rumors floating about. Are their bodies with problems out there, probably yes, but in IMHO, I think the complaints are probably over rated. These so-called experts get their camera with unrealistic expectations and then complain when the camera does not live up to them or when the results from their testsseem to indicate that they have a problem when in reality their test setup may havebeen setup incorrectly. Back focus in particular I think would be an easy test to goof up on and get false results. I did not study each of your shot looking for the slightest focus problem, etc, but offhand I think they are fine based on some of your better shots I've seen. All camera's, regardless of the quality, won't produce quality shots 100% of the time. There are things that can fool the light meter and there is of course user error as well as all camera's have strength and weaknesses that you have to learn to work with. I think thisis where you are; You need to get comfortable with it and learn it's strength and weaknesses. If you like the sample shots that Steve took and others have taken, then keep your camera. If not, then obviously you should return it. If you are still concerned about your camera, perhaps you should take it to a qualified local outfit and have them take pictures to test it for you.To Makokero's point, I do think you need to spend some more time with the manual as well. The manual is kind of big and it doesn't cover everything as well as it should though, so please feel free to post any time. When we ask each other questions on the forum, it can stir healthy discussions which helps more people than just the original person asking the question.

I do think it is wise that you aren't taking your D70 to Europe as you would be better off capturing your important memories with a camera you alreay know how to use and what to expect from it. Good luck in Europe and have a blast taking pictures ... that's what it is all about. I spent a summer in England when I was in College and I have some great memories I wouldn't trade for anything.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 5:28 PM   #7

Wolf,

I understand your feelings about initial image quality. I was there myself for about the first week after dropping $2500 for the D70 and other items after moving from my trusty Canon G3. I have had my D70 for almost two weeks and have literally not put it down. It has taken lots of experimentation with settings, uploaded curves, white balance fine tuning, and other CSM/Shooting menu changes and I just now feel that I am gettingsettings to my preferences have just a basic understanding of what happens when I change x (x being whatever setting you might have just changed). It really just takes patience with your self and the camera (yourself more than anything, the camera just does what it is told) while on this learning curve. Imagine my learning curve as I have as I leave in 7 days for a week in San Antonio, TX and a wedding to shoot (and I am the primary) the day after I get back. Try a learning curve on a deadline!

Once you find you ideal settings, save you current setting when the camera is connected to Nikon Capture Camer Control. That way after you have fussed around and cannot remember what your ideal settings (very easy to do with this camera)were you can load them right back into the camera. Then as you find different settings for different situations, load those settings before you leave. This is especially nice if you travel with a laptop.

Damon

dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 10:50 PM   #8

dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
almost two weeks and have literally not put it down
Literally you say? I hope you bought an underwater case for showers then...

Sorry to derail the thread, on that note... D70's rock!
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2004, 11:20 PM   #9

PlatinumWeaver wrote:
Quote:
dcrawley wrote:
Quote:
almost two weeks and have literally not put it down
Literally you say? I hope you bought an underwater case for showers then...

Sorry to derail the thread, on that note... D70's rock!
It has hung on the doorknob. So technically it has not been set down. JK
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 4:40 AM   #10

With no disrespect to coedfun, this is why there is a market for point and shoot cameras.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote