Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 17, 2004, 1:11 PM   #1

Hi

Can anyone advise me which DSLR to buy. I am really looking at the Nikon D70 or Pentax ist D. The size of the pentax turns me on however the price and more importantly the time between taking pics is a major concern.

I want to take action photos of my son as I keep missing him with my Ixus 400. I also have an old coolpix 990, so I am not loyal to anyone make. I have no lens either. Not bothered about firwire or usb2 etc

In the shops they say there is still a delay with taking photos and I wonder why I want a DSLR.

Please adivse

Gary
garynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2004, 5:14 PM   #2

Gary,

Can't provide best of advice here as only just got started (seriously) with photography, (sure the rest of the board will offer some top advice) but just a few points i considered when choosing my D70 anyway...

1. The compact nature of the pentax did appeal but I figured with either Canon and Nikon there would be more second hand (and new maybe?) lenses and other accessories on the market, which for me was important as being a student the D70 took most of my budget and am unlikely to be earninglots in the near future!

2.The Pentax was £200 to £300 more, without a lens.

3. I think the *ist D is Pentax's first DSLR ? Whereas Nikon (and Canon) have been making DSLR's for a few years now, so would hope to have ironed out any major faults with the basics of the technology.

Like i say just some of my thoughts when i was ready to buy, feel free to criticise if they are illogical wrong etc! :-)

Oh and you mention whyyou want a DSLR, (i assume you mean over prosumer) and again 2 things did it for me,

1.I figured if i went for a prosumer camera like a fuji s7000 or one of the new 8mp slr-style cameras I would be always wondering, 'what if i had stretched abit further for aDSLR' 'I wish I had now' etc etc

2.From what i read and looking at sample shots, cramming lots of pixels onto a smallerCCD like the 8mp compacts or fuji i mentioned, this seems to make the pixels extremely hot producing a great deal more noise. (and less detail due to smaller pixels)

Just the thoughts of a beginner, hope they may be useful. :-)

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks I think made mind up for D70.

However in the UK been to a couple of shops who say can't get hold of at present.

Is there anything going on????

Gary
garynelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2004, 4:31 PM   #4

Yeah i got mine from walters photo/video with the 18-70 kit, though it was the only 1 they had in stock at the time... I paid £999 even though other websites were advertising it cheaper(£930 from savastore i think) as nowhere else had it in stock at time. (early april)

From looking at some sites it would seem it is the lens rather than the body that is in short-supply, as many places are offering a deal for around £850 with a 28-80mmm lens (making it 42mm [email protected] its widest which was no good for me) though this isn't one of the new DX lenses I think.

Have you ordered it yet?
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote