Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 21, 2004, 2:55 PM   #1

I currently have a Nikon f80 (n80) and am thinking of getting the new D70 with 18-70 lens. Can this lends be used on the non-digital f80 and does it offer true 18-70mm capability on the f80?
NikNak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2004, 5:26 PM   #2

I am not an expert on the new DX lenses but I would think they would work on any Nikon camera that can use D type lenses. The 18-70mm range is a true range. The D70 or D100 would see it as 27-105mm range.

The thing I would question is electronic compatibility. Do the connecting pins line up the same as D-type lenses.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 10:36 PM   #3

The new 18-70 lens should work just fine on your F80 (N80 here in the USA). The D100 is based on the F/N80 body and can use all D type lenses DX lenses however will not work properly on a film body. Example, the 12-24mm DX lens will only provide a full image on the film frame from a certain focal length, I can't remember which right now.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2004, 10:38 PM   #4

Again, not sure of this but i was under the impression that the DX lenses only worked with SLR's with an APS C size CCD or smaller? IE for for full 35mm frame wouldn't function correctly? Dunno about about electrical connections etc....

jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 2:35 AM   #5

As jimbo mentioned, the DX lens range (of which the 18-70 is a part of) are optimised to project images to the centre portion of the lens, which for a smaller than film CCD sensor is no problem, but to use it on a film body would mean loss of light and or quality around the edges of each image.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2004, 3:38 AM   #6

Many thanks for these very helpful replies - clearly the new DX lenses are not entirely suited for use on Nikon film bodies
NikNak is offline   Reply With Quote