Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2004, 11:15 PM   #1

I'm getting a little disgusted with Nikon's software package for the d70. Everything recognizes the camera except N.C.C. I'd like to experiment w/some custom curves, but must get the software to recognize its hardware. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff
jkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 6:48 AM   #2

In your camera menu settings under USB, ensure you have PTP selected and not mass storage. It has to be on PTP for NC to control the camera. Also, according to the manual, it looks like your OS has to be Window XP or MAC OS X in order to use NC.

Michael
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:42 PM   #3

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
In your camera menu settings under USB, ensure you have PTP selected and not mass storage.* It has to be on PTP for NC to control the camera.* Also, according to the manual, it looks like your OS has to be Window XP or MAC OS X in order to use NC.

Michael
Other than PTP is there anything else that needs to be set on the D70? Should the memory card be removed? If so do you have to override the shutter lock?

Thanks froma newbie with three days on his camera.
Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

mdparker wrote:
Quote:
In your camera menu settings under USB, ensure you have PTP selected and not mass storage. It has to be on PTP for NC to control the camera. Also, according to the manual, it looks like your OS has to be Window XP or MAC OS X in order to use NC.

Michael

I hate to ask a stupid question (won't be the first time), but what is PTP?

I have the same problem.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:28 PM   #5

PTP is the answer. No other on camera adjustments are required. You can leave your memory card in your computer, but Nikon Capture Control software warns you that you won't be saving to your memory card.

While this software might appeal to pros in studio shooting, I found that as a newbie playing with the various shutter and meter adjustments very helpful. For instance using the slow shutter synch option via the software let me understand what the camera image would like like with this option on and off in the time it took to download the image and display it on the computer.

The big deal is that I could see right away what my adjustments via the software had done. This was better than trying to view what I had done via the camera's LCD.

Note, the software left my camera options adjusted, so a quick reset of the camera brought it back to standard settings as far as I could tell.

I'll have to try this with my newly aquired SD-800 Speedlight. I assume that Nikon Capture Control software would control the on camera Speedlight.

Jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:21 AM   #6

PTP means Picture Transfer Protocol.Is a communications protocol developed specifically for DSDP's (digital still photographic devices) by manufacturers in the digital industry.
PTP is officially supported by Windows XP and Mac OSX (10.1.2 or later), PTP should be chosen when using either of these operating systems. If earlier operating systems are in use please use MSC(Mass Storage Controller) for transferring images.
The primary purpose of PTP is the sending and receiving of images, the secondary purpose is DSDP control (for instance controlling camera release from a computer).
The PTP standard will be supported by both hardware and software developers. Software developers will now have one common interface protocol that can in theory be used with all DSDP's from different manufacturers.

PTP is officially supported by Windows XP WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) and Mac OS ICA (Image Capture Architecture) so it will be continuously developed in the future. USB MSC (mass storage class) is also supported by both OS.
zematima is offline   Reply With Quote