Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 29, 2004, 12:18 PM   #1

I have my new D70 set up; works great! I was using a vivitar 730AFNi with my old CP950 but it doesn't seem to work with the D70. When I put it on the hot shoe I turn the camera on and the flash on. Then I try to take a pic but nothing happens; no picture taken. I'm in auto mode. I didn't see any specific info on external flash in the directions. Obviously, I'm not set up correctly. I'm requesting help from anyone out there. Eventually I'll get an SB-600... I need the flash in my work.

Thanks
observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2004, 10:11 PM   #2

=

Kingsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 11:25 PM   #3

observerguy wrote:
Quote:
I have my new D70 set up; works great! I was using a vivitar 730AFNi with my old CP950 but it doesn't seem to work with the D70. When I put it on the hot shoe I turn the camera on and the flash on. Then I try to take a pic but nothing happens; no picture taken. I'm in auto mode. I didn't see any specific info on external flash in the directions. Obviously, I'm not set up correctly. I'm requesting help from anyone out there. Eventually I'll get an SB-600... I need the flash in my work.

Your Vivitar 730AFNi is not supported by the D70. The D70 requires a flash to have the i-TTL mode, Nikon's new TTL flash mode; however, your Vivitar only supports the traditional Nikon (film) TTL mode which is also available on all Coolpix cameras. To use TTL flash, you will need a SB600 or SB800. However, you maight be able to set the flash to the Automatic or Manual mode. With the Automatic mode, you set flash to use the aperture that is being used by the camera, and the flash on-board sensor controls flash exposure. In manual mode, you are on your own. My Coolpix 950/990/995/4500 user guide has more information on using flashes in Automatic and Manual mode.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 User Guide

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4

I have tried playing with the settings but I was getting nervous. Further research says there could be a problem with sync voltage that could damage the camera (and not covered by warranty). I just don't know if this is true, though. For what I paidfor the camera and my plans for long-term use, I will get the SB600 so I am compatable with Nikon products. Now I need to sell my CP950 to pay for the flash!

Thanks for your advice.....

observerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 5:46 PM   #5

I doubt auto mode on the D70 would work with any flash beyond ones like the SB 600 or 800. My SB 28 works fine. I set the camera to M (Manual mode), shutter of 1/500 (such a cool feature for night racing ) and match the aperature to the aperature reading on the flash--I've been using 5.6 for that. Flash can be either in auto or manual mode, zoom at highest setting. I've been able to get some great night shots so far. :-)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:01 PM   #6

observerguy wrote:
Quote:
Further research says there could be a problem with sync voltage that could damage the camera (and not covered by warranty).
Yes, I've heard about this too. It's the trigger voltage - older flashes meant for mechanical cameras had high voltages to make them function, but in this day of electronic everything, these olderflashes could burn out the capacitor in the camera's hotshoe used to trigger the flash.

Just as well I've stopped using my Metz 30BCT4 on my D70 (which is reputed to discharge well over 200 volts, and Nikon rates their hotshoes for 12V!) I was enjoying the freedom of a complete range of shutter speeds (no 1/500s flash sync limit), and the Metz flash unit has an ambient light sensor on it that gave perfect exposures automatically when set it up correctly.

FYI - if you dare to use an older non-iTTL compatible flash, turn the flash on after mounting it on the camera hotshoe, and then turn the camera on. Then, the D70 will have no trouble recognising there's a flash present.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote